9/10 SBH harbor...fun time with the boy

Mark Komo

Finally, a saturday and the boy doesnt have football (tomorrow). Decent to do the usual. Grab the crawlers, stop at timmys for a coffee, sandwich and donut and hit the SBH Buffalo.

Great day to be out, and as always fun time with the boy. We started with meat right away. Hit that canadian hump (just inside the line) and started moving rods. Biggest was 6.1 lbs. A good fish for the boy. I had to "refresh" his memory of running of running meat and snaps. But he got the hang of it pretty good. He got his PB sheepshead. What a goat. About 8 lbs. Nasty looking.

We moved back into the US, and ran our 3 to a side, 6 wide program. Still running meat. Picked up a few more. Off the water by noon, and on to dugs dive for a bit of lunch. Tried raising rebs and shorthanded on the radio, but no luck.

Did see DNR out. They did check us. They didnt see the life jacket on the boy and inquired. We were good to go. Bass were snapping on seneca shoals, but alas, its bass. Ugly green fish.

Great morning. Taking a nap to root for the cat-licks in tonights beeeeeg game. Go ND!

Came on a triple d, 2 bladed orange willow, with 2oz snapweight 30 back (snap at 20), at 1.1MPH, in 44 FOW.

mattwalleye910.jpg

When I loaded this pic, I found anonther funny one. The boy when he was 2 and last fall at bay of quinte. He turned out good! We like to call it before and after walleye!

Before_Andaftermattwalleye.jpg

Mark glad to hear you and your son had a great day. Nothing as good as a father and his son out doing some fishing.

Jack your going goose hunting huh ? I hope you get em

we got 3 hours on the bar before it got too rough with the north east wind. Sherry got 17 bass on the bar and I got 4 eyes, smallest was 7lbs and the biggest was just over 10lbs. I had her drifting live minnows on a 3 way and I drifted harnesses. Silver with copper back colorado blade about the size of my thumb nail with red beads.

Then we went into the river to Stella's and drifted there, she fished the 3 way with minnows and I jigged with a purple hair jig tipped with a minnow, 28 to 32 feet of water just on the edge of the main channel. I got 2 more eyes an 8 and a 9. She got 2 small bass.

the fall walleye are moving in kind of early this year, no one seems to know where these big eyes come from. I have heard guys say they migrated over from the Bay of Quinte and some say they just come in from the lake. I don't know but I am glad they are there.

I heard a few salmon are being caught off the power plant playform. I think its a little early for them as well.

sounds like the fish that are stocked are doing well. when trolling for salmonyears ago off rochester we caught big walleye off our free sliders.. i remember large suspended schools. i think they roam ontario like they do in erie chasing the food source

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

The eyes are stocked in the lower river. The fishery is really just getting started. I wish they would stock more.....great structure and bait in the lower river.

I know they stock walleye in the lower river but I doubt these big ones are from stocking. It was a number of years ago they started showing up at the end of the summer. Before that there walleye in the river but as big.

It has gotten like the Bay of Quinte huge walleye at the end of summer. About the same time they started showing up here it was said the bay of quinte had slowed down and some people say these walleye have migrated from the bay of quinte. I suppose its possible, I don't know.

There may be multiple forces at work here. There will be some resident fish due the NRA stocking. But shorthanded has an excellent point and there are big pods of fish out there roaming ontario just like erie. Walleyes are known to travel long distances for spawn, but I dont think these are quinte fish.

If you break down the lake in smaller pieces, it makes more sense. Quinte fish, Black Bay (henderson harbor) fish, southwest ontario. Then break down into smaller pods.

Still great job by NRA and Rebs.

I don't think anyone knows the total story out there as it is a big lake.

Something of note about Quinte, the biggest thing that has changed up there is the pressure on the fishery, probably due to the publicity it recieves as a "Big Fish Destination".

The same thing was noticed about the numbers of large fish in the Oswego area years ago. First comes the publicity with mention in multiple magazines, then comes the pressure, there go the numbers of large fish.

Some large fish are caught in these areas still but not the fishery they were at one time.

Remember that these fish take a long time to grow that large, I forget the quote about size to age but the NYDEC has done a study on these fish and that information is out there.

The efforts of great groups such as the NRA as well as others around the lake go unnoticed some times but I almost believe that is a blessing for the fishery.

shhh....... great job guys.... :clap: