Auto pilot information for a 200 hp outboard

britty

Yes its easy to install, has a low profile, and simply works by controlling your steering wheel. I have hydraulic when my main motor is running and when im just using my kicker its cable, and it works perfect regardless of what im running.

• 1 year later...

I hate to drag up an old post but isn't this system used for sail boats? I was thinking of installing autopilot on my boat but it has cable steering. Is there anything out there that I can use?

Keep in mind that the x5 adds a mechanical aspect to your hydraulic steering, it's a good unit. I've had an X5 and I replaced it with a Garmin GHP 10 which IMO opinion is the unit to have for hydraulic steering. The X5 is easier to install, the Garmin can be tricky but unlike the older hydraulic units the pump has a bypass so it can be replaced without tearing the system apart.

I beat this issue to death before I replaced the X5

PM me if you want more info

I wish I had hydraulic steering. Mine spins easy enough but I don't know if I should upgrade to hydra and just get the autopilot later on. I love the hydraulic steering I have used on other boats but don't know if I can justify the cost when mechanical is so much cheaper.

• 1 month later...
Keep in mind that the x5 adds a mechanical aspect to your hydraulic steering, it's a good unit. I've had an X5 and I replaced it with a Garmin GHP 10 which IMO opinion is the unit to have for hydraulic steering. The X5 is easier to install, the Garmin can be tricky but unlike the older hydraulic units the pump has a bypass so it can be replaced without tearing the system apart.

I beat this issue to death before I replaced the X5

PM me if you want more info

Frisco,

Just sold my cable steered 19 ft alum. Sea Nymph SS195 boat and going to a new 2013 196 Fishmaster by Starcraft with Teleflex hydraulic steering. Ray marine techies gave the thumbs up to put the SP5XR 1.5 years old on the hydraulic steering. It's advertised specifically for trolling with cable or hydraulic steered boats (specifically due to the Fluxgate compass). I plan to troll with the new 2013 4 stroke 150 hp EFI Mercury (second season for this new release from Mercury). Nothing like it with a troll control RPM replacement gauge and smartcraft. Loved trolling with the 115 hp Mercury 4 stroke 2007 Baby Verado with troll control last 5 seasons on the sold boat. I could never go back to a kicker with todays technology driven outboards and EFI, but thats a whole thread by itself and I won't go there. Just sold my Honda kicker as well that's been idle for 5 years in a corner of the garage.

Love the Fluxgate compass on demand (real time guided) steering with the X5 as I would hate to give it up the X5 as in my eyes it's flawless for trolling with a main engine for propulsion.

When I get my new boat in March I am planning on putting the X5 on it in my man cave when I rig it.

Please clarify "mechanical aspect" What does this mean? What issue did you have with the X5 on hydraulic that made you replace it with the Garmin? Does it just mean it's a mechanical drive by definition instead of a pump with a hydraulic system?

Sent you a pm. if you want to answer privately.

I just got a raymarine S1000 it is made to use with hydraulic steering, cheaper then the sport pilot. $835. if you need more info let me know.

Thanks for the offer. But, I took the X5 off my sold boat and want to put it on the new boat. If I was shopping for the first time for an AP I would consider the S1000 if I was using price point as the only reason.

From the folks that have S1000's I have spoken too they run off the GPS signal and have to be run 3 mph or more to aquire a position before they will track and steer the boat. With the Fluxgate compass on the X5 its will steer in real time without waiting for a GPS feed to aquire under 3 mph or 2.5 kts. It also doesn't come with a ST 6002 control head $532 for the $835 price. The control head is easier to use then the 2/3's smaller remote that is provided with the S1000. There is a lot of value with the larger (52 year old eyes like mine) control head display and the $189 Fluxgate compass that comes with the price of an X5 which is advertised by Ray Marine specifically for trolling and I believe this is due to the fluxgate compass feed. The S1000 they have disclaimers from Ray: Troll at speeds as low as 1 knot (subject to environmental conditions) - operation below 2.5kts cannot be guaranteed, as adverse wind and tide conditions could prevail.

We all like our AP's don't get me wrong. There are no bad AP's. The only bad thing is going without one once you have owned one.

ST 6002 Control head standard part of X5 package:

ST6002.jpg

Fluxgate compass:

fluxgate.jpg