HP of trolling motor - 9.9 or 15

I currently have a 20' alaskan with a '75 evinrude 9.9 for trolling. The trottle is very touchy at low speeds. It is a pain to keep a steady speed, always having to get up to adjust trottle.

I am considering moving to a 4 stroke. I have found a barely used 2005 Honda 15 HP tiller, electric start, long shaft. I would add a controllking from cabelas which are on sale now. Is 15 HP to much for an aluminum boat? When fishing for browns on big O or lakers in finger lakes, I'm typically trolling at or less than 2mph.

Or should I just wait for a 9.9

Thanks

Have you tried that ControlKing on your 9.9???

My boat is 21ft G3 (similar to Lunds) and I use a yamaha 9HP for a kicker. Was never satisfied with the factory Throttle, but with the ControlKing it is awesome. Never go over 1/3 throttle to get 3 MPH even in the stiffest winds and currents so I think that a 15 would be a lot of wasted ponies.

If you got a good deal on the 15 hp id throw it on as long as you have a 4 stroke kicker motor mount rated for 15 hp. I have an 8 hp 4 stroke on my 17 1/2 ft aluminum. At near full throttle with 3 fat guys and a lot of gear cooler ice and fish I can go almost 8 mph. Have you tried a different prop..id look into that before buying a new motor

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

The speed problem has to do more with the 2 stroke bogging up at low rpm. I need to open it up every so often to flush it, it will also vary rpm as it starts to bog down. I have changed plugs and taken motor to marine mechanic to have carb cleaned. I don't want to spend anymore money on this motor. Time for a 4 stroke.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png