Waterfowl seasons???

thejigger

After waterfowl hunting in the Western and Northeastern Zones for almost 3 decades, it makes me wonder who makes up the season dates. Is there ever any public input to this decision? It seems to me that the bulk of the early season is open before any real migration has started. I know that this is a subject that other people have wondered and talked about for years because most of the hunters I have talked to seem to agree. I know that I can speak for many waterfowl hunters who believe that a "late-straight" season would put more hunters in the blinds when the birds are actually here. Late straight meaning picking a day in mid January, say the 15th, and counting back 60 days. Or instead of having 15 days at the end of the season, put the 15 days at the beginning, say from October 22 to November 5, then count back 45 days from January 9. I know that these opinions are not shared by all hunters, but i also know that the only way to make any changes is to have an open mind. Just something to consider and talk about with your hunting buddies this waterfowl season. Good luck and safe hunting.

I could not agree with you more, we have hunted 3 different lakes for geese so far and had great luck. Turf, thank you for the link to input on the season dates. I have talked to 2 of the men listed and have been told that the input is just a formality, that the season dates will most likely never change. There is no way to make everyone happy. I was just curious if there were more guys out there who would agree that changing the dates would improve the hunting. One thing that I enjoy about the LOU members is the respect that is given to the other members who take the time to comment on this site.

The dates are supposedly made up from hunter input. Yeah right! I think the waterfowl dates should open up all together and close all together. Aside from the resident goose season that is. That should stay as it is right through the duck opener, but then stay open along with duck season. (the waterfowl season should stay open right until the last day of January imo) I dont believe the waterfowl population can be managed and or controlled by opening and closing dates in different zones across the state as they do. Way too many factors but mostly the weather to consider. The manner in which they have the goose seasons divided up, you have to be a cartographer to figure out where it is legal to hunt geese from week to week. Its crazy......