Seneca Lake Hand lining with Flashers question

Neo1945

Hi. Don't see many posting about this technique anymore in the "new" age of wire lines, dipseys, etc. It's good to know someone out there is still interested. I have run flashers on Seneca with a hand line for 15+ years now and never found the need for a snubber. I have used both 25# and 50# mono for the connection to my weight and both with success. I have also tried 50# braid and had success with that however I like the way the mono handles in this situation much better. No need to get fancy either unless you want to or have an undying urge to waste $$....I have used the cheap spools of shakespeare mono found at walmart for this application and have yet to loose a weight. I did loose an entire flasher rig once but that was only because I missed a kink in my copper. :@ Spend the extra money on other tackle and pay closer attention to the leader mat'l. you choose for your lures. Good luck in this new endeavor and tight lines!! :)

Backcountry78,

Can't thank you enough for your reply. I am to get back into fishing after almost 30 year layoff, and have forgotten more than I ever knew.

I did keep my flashers though and will be using them. What type & weight line do you run to your lure? I still have some Sutton spoons. Do you use any "meat" instead? Do you use a float or a second leader? It's been awhile.

I have a A&S reel that has steel wire ... I see you use Copper?

Don

Don,

Yup, I only run copper when handlining and not the braided stuff only solid. Solid seems to "absorb" less water if this make any sense and is much easier on your hands than the braid is. As far as steel is concerned I would stay away from it when running a handline not only to reduce the cut factor but because it tends to kink easier when feeding it out and it is harder to get a good splice. I used to run only the light 22 guage stuff when I started out because I liked the feel of the bottom and lures much better with it but then switched to heavier 20 gauge because you don't need to run as much to get to the same depth and the larger diameter is easier on the fingers. You may or may not want to take wire gauge into consideration too if you are using the A&S as I believe it only has a copper capacity of about 300' give or take. This may not be an issue if you only run flasher rigs and sinkers but I prefer some versatility and actually run my lures without sinkers or flashers probably 90-95% of the time and do very well. This being said you need some extra wire capacity without running a weight and so I usually spool up about 600' of copper on homemade hand reels for the extra capacity. As far as your weight goes, I personally would stay closer to the 1# mark....I maybe up it to about 1.5# if I end up running multiple leaders above the flasher rig. My primary season for flasher rigs is mainly August/September and again in the Winter. Some years they never even come out in the summer. If the fishing is hot enough like this year, I will run straight spoons. This has been changing the last couple of weeks though so time will tell, they might get wet yet. I have more info I can PM to you if you're interested.

Jeff

• 3 months later...

hey guy...I have kinda self taught myself over the last two years and ive caught hundreds of lakers...and a many browns L.L's and perch chugging copper....I bought a verrrry nicely engineerd victrola with eaarly 1900 guts in it.... and it has a spool thatly prolly hold 1000 feet...never use it all but theres room...i run 25lb. single strand copper and i put a swivel on the end w a haywire twist...from the swivel i tie on dacron or braid...i like darcon cuz it foalts and makes a drip loop in the presentation your copper is held off the bottom slightly and the chugging makes it lag and then dart...lag then dart....like scurrd minnows do.....i use keel sinker after the dacronanywhere from 1 oz. to 4 oz. then a leader of mono 5 ft. to fifteen ft. tied to a sutton most times...ive tried twin minnows and other hardbaits..u name it ive got it wet...but overall the suttons perform best.....#88, #44, #66...hammered or flat but gotta use a fixed single hook or ur wasting ur time.......try it out leme know what u think. ive caught em from 20 ft over water on the bottom and ive also tuned em in out over 150+ ft of water both on the bottom and suspended......go slow and keep on chuggin......NOTHING in the world like fighting a monster laker with your bare hands.........IDC what any of these million dollar electroninc trolling capt's tell ya ....if they didnt have all the money and they were back a generation or two where would they be then??????? not on the fish!..............Ol' SKOOL!.............stay with the roots thats where alot of people FUC* up and loose touch with the sport. I got into it because of an urge to make it as primitive and classic as possible.....not to be one the most effecient boats on the water....yet it never fails ill chugg away on my 12 ft john boat on calm days when these moster deep v's are bombarding me with pressure around the west side from Kashong to thre Belhurst....and whos hookin up!!!!!!!!!!ME

im currently in the thinking and testing stages but yea.....when they school up un the shelfs and flats just above them in the spring i can tune in on em pretty good.....the smaller suttons with thinner profiles work great.....#44 is a fav. i want to make a homemade set of cowbell type spinners and decrease in size down to the hooked one @ the end....only 3 or 4 blades.....seems when ever i tryed to setup the tiny storebought original cowbells the way they are rigged makes for too much resistance with the water and u feel of the bottom is sacraficed...i want to do it with a strechy mono or hybrid copolymer line rather than wire.....i think the stretch would feel better on the fingers and look better for the fish......i slammed two big jacks whilechuggin the flats just above the shelf this spring....one was 15 inches and the other was 16 if i pinched her tail and tried to get that extra 1/8 outa her ...lol ill try n upload the pics i think theyr on my HD......i havnt tried the fall perch fishing with the copper on account of all the weeds in the lake that time of year, but im sure where there is a will there is a way. i KNOW they go deep to ive pulled them off sunken barges and boats in 175' of H2O with ultralights and power grubs fished on the Nig Rig. so im shure u could go out where the weeds arnt and get em in the fall but that deep copper is a waste unless u can find a big school and just keep drifting over them.....

• 2 weeks later...

For that rig. I use a lower pound test then the main line so if you get caught up, you will just lose the weight rather than the rig. That's the way the great grand dad showed me.. haven't fished a rig in a few years...

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png