Oneida?????

Besides the DEC reports-anything besides shore fishing going on at Oneida?With decent weather predicted for the New Years weekend (OK-showers are called decent weather in my book)-I was thinking about trailering up to the lake for Sunday and Monday. Your thoughts-same programs that I have been running all year with success? Blk/silver Rouges-Purple prism and Blk/silver prism Dave's Kaboom Shiners? The weather is just staying too "not cold" to not be on the water....

Walteye

My "very reliable" sources say the shore bite is pretty much over at Oneida but if you take the boat out you can do good. I have been doing a lot of night trolling the last couple weeks at a different lake not too far from there and catching some very nice walleyes up to 24". It's not fast and furious but I'm averaging about one fish an hour. Surface temps here in upstate NY on most lakes are right around the 40 degree mark give or take one.

Hit the lake at 6 am Saturday-nice walleye chop from the east-lots of marks in the shallows/12-20'/ not a hit on the troll. When it got light-went out to the deeper water 38-41'-lots of marks-trolled up a white bass and a 16" eye east of the Messenger Shoal. Tried all the same lures that worked throughout the year ( Blk/slvr Rouges,Purple prism,blk/slvr Dave's Kaboom Shiners,Renoskys,Perch and white #9 Shad Raps,Blk/slvr and blue/slvr Husky Jerks) all without another hit. About 9am it started to hail/sleet and changed to snow (2" in the boat)turned dead calm and then the wind changed from the east to northwest-picking up in intensity-creating 3+ footers on the lake. Trolled throughout the water column(flat lining to the bottom)-from .8 mph to 2.5 mph-with just those 2 fish. Decided at 2 pm to call it a day and a year on Oneida Lake. I didn't see another boat on the lake (obviously the only idiot was me!)

Happy New Year to all....

Walteye

Walt.. Was that you I saw waving from the highway as I was hammering them on the river? You should have stopped and launched! The conditions are perfect down there right now.. although the bite's slowed a bit. I picked up three nice eaters yesterday and released a 6-7 lb. pot-bellied female. I should stay good (or get better) right through the end of the season! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)