Leadcore reels.

rolmops

I think about replacing my leadcore reels and currently under consideration are the Penn levelwind reels like the 209,the 309 and the 320.

But I don't know whether the 209 will hold 10 colors of 27 pound test.Does any of you good people have some expertise to share?

Thank you for your opinions and advice.

Cornelis.

the okuma clarion reels are 60.00 dollars cheaper then the Daiwa saltist and they are just as fast and the drags are just as good.....

I guess for an extra $60 you get a lot!

Gear Ratio:

Saltist 6.4:1

Clarion 6.2:1

Weight of the real:

Saltist 24.30oz

Clarion 30.7oz

Saltist - 5BB's

Clarion - 3BB's

Not to mention the history on the Great Lakes goes to Daiwa. I remember when our 21' Penn Yan had a whole bunch of 47H's. Lastly, it's hard to compare drags systems by mearly looking at them. The Saltist drag system made it in the Saltwater market prior to finding it's way into the great lakes. Okuma may have stepped thier game up over the last few years. Actually, I know they have, but their top of the line reel isn't at the same level as Daiwa's. I know......I have used them all.

For your purpose though many reels will work. We all started off with Penn 330's for our 10 color cores. A work horse of a reel, but very slow. Tekota's, Clarion, and Slatist are all top of the line reels if your looking to put a reel in your hand that makes junk line fishing more enjoyable.

All the major manufacturers make better quality these days-they have to or perish. Daiwa had the market, took it for granted and invested in other pursuits. When they turned back this way, others had invested hard and had taken market share.

I'm sure it's good quality, but it will be YEARS before you can truly evaluate the Saltist. I have a set of Okuma Catalinas with THOUSANDS of Salmon and Trout landed with them.At least 5 seasons on them. The only thing needing service is the worn out clickers. Give credit where it is due. As for the Clarions, too new to give them this type of kudos, but the drag is damn good and yes they are fast in the HS series.

I like the new Clarions also and I hope they hold up like my Catalinas. I have 5 seasons also on 4 Catalina reels that I have wire on and they have taken a beeting, I have yet to have to take one off to get it fixed. I had a hard time finding the Catalinas this last year but I found some last week and have 4 more on the way. I like them better than the Tekotas for wire, it seems like with my Tekotas it is harder to reel in the wire with them.

Thank you all for your opinions and expertise.

Being mostly a weekend warrior I decided to buy an additional 2 57 daiwa accudepth reels and a Penn 320gti.

The accudepths will replace 2 Penn 330Gti reels at the trolling rods and the 330s will hold the 10 color core while the 320 will hold the 8 color core. This is a great improvement over the shakespeare tidewater 30 L reels that I bought for $8 a piece when a lot of K-Marts closed down.