i am going to buy 2 leadcore rigs tomorrow but need some help on my final decision. i will be using these for fishing late winter early spring salmon and spring browns on the fingerlakes. for the rods i am thinking okuma 8'6" rods. for reels maybe the Magda 30's or 45's depending. now for the backing, should i use power pro or should i use like 20-30 pound mono. and for the leadcore i was thinking like 20 pound leadcore. please let me know your opinion on this rig, what you use and have success with and any info would help. thanks!

A 300' copper will get you down 66' with a spoon and around 60' with a flasher @ 2.2 mph (same lenght as 10 colors but a lot more depth). A 250' copper will put you around 55, a 200 around 44' a 150 around 33' and a 100 around 22'. I'm not sure how much copper a Okuma 45 will hold. A 30 will hold a 100' copper with plenty of 30lb backing. I ditch all of my leadcore rigs 5 seasons ago for copper and I have not turned back.

If you are going to go with the lead core I just bought a whole set up the Okuma CV45D will hold 10 colors of core although If I had to change something about it I would go with the Power Pro instead of the Dacron that came with the Ready Core already set up. I went with a 6'6 medium heavy ugly stick rod probably could go with a medium rod with a little more length if your not going to be pulling 10 colors. I'm very happy with the set up it took the only two fish two weekends ago :) . Lead Core is a little more user friendly but like Gambler said if you want to achieve greater depths with less line out go with the copper.

Tom

hey i have another quick question, when running leadcore do your guides on your rod have to be metal over the plastic? i just set up a couple of leadcore rigs but the rods have the plastic guides and was wondering if that was ok? i know its a good idea for copper but not sure about the leadcore. thanks, Codie

• 2 weeks later...

ok thats good to know, i looked on bass pro at my rods and they said that they were ceramic which was ok for leadcore. you have been making rods for 25 years!! thats awesome! do you make your own trolling rods or only like spinning/casting rods? once again thanks for all the info and help! keep up the good work!