Rochester Perch

DNRoch

Was able to get out on Saturday for some Perch action on I. Bay. The markers looked like zoo, and with the last few weeks of Bass season, there was more traffic than I would have expected. I cam home with 19 11+ inchers and 2 shorts that swallowed the hook on me. I'm going to call that a pretty good trip for 2 reasons. 1.) the schooling of these fish have NOT started. The fish are spread out and not concentrated in any location or depth but the most predominant action cane in 30-25 feet of water. And the second reason is that I was without a fish finder so depth was only being marked with my anchor ropes.

Smaller fathead were working over the larger ones, but since I had to work for them I'm not going to give away any secrets ;)

Scotty-

I don't think that I am going to head out until after the 1st full week of Oct. The surface temps were really high to the touch, which would explain the non- schooling and all of the searching that i had to do. Next weekend they are calling for a high in the low 60s. 3-4 days of that, then I'll be back on the water. Until then time to take out the 2 hand rod and swing for Kings.

On Saturday we parked on top of a nice school of ringbacks and never moved all day.

We were on top of the dropoff in 14fow. Went through 5 dozen fatheads in 3 hours. A few bass, lots of sunnies, 'gills, and sheepheads mixed in too.

Those suspended fish are usually white perch, gills, or sunnies Potseed.

Try in more shallow next time for the perch. A small silver Kastmaster makes a great search lure then switch to minnows once you find a school.

Sometimes it takes many moves until you find the school. Drift or troll with the electric, don't sit and wait for the fish to come to you. Good luck! :beer::beer:

Saturday, Sept. 24 was outstanding for the perch bite. 5 hours...approx. 60 fish. Brought two dozen home. All on minnows. Used a crappie rig and when things slowed, the small jig on the bottom worked. Fished 10'-14'. Schools were moving around at the top of the dropoff. Marks would appear then disappear then appear again. Earlier seemed better but fish bit all morning. BTW...has anyone been picking up pike on I Bay? Or walleye?