Input Please, on the ultimate Bowhunting Climber

I love my Lone Wolf hang on stand but the climber i sold after the first season. Didnt like the way the belt would twist akwardly when climbing. Didnt look safe. Also the outfitter I go with in Il. had a guy forget to lock the belt in the stand and got halfway up the tree and the belt pulled out. Operator error I know but could happen to anyone in a hurry.

I now have a Summit and I love it. It gets plenty of use without any problems. Climbs quick and safe. The new models fold down flat and have the dead stop material which makes them quieter than mine. With those 2 new upgrades I would really look hard at the Summit stands. Plus you'll save some money as the Lone Wolfs are pricey.

Total Chaos

Vince,

I have owned both a Lone Wolf and a Summit Viper. Personally I prefer the Summit, in fact I sold my Lone Wolf last year. The Lone Wolf is a quieter and lighter climber, but I found it very hard to go up and down a tree with the Lone Wolf. The upper section of the LW has very small arm rests. I use the arm rest on climbers to help me climb and descend the tree, with the LW you almost have to wrap your arms around the tree to climb up and down. Some guys don't mind climbing like this, I was never comfortable climbing this way. With the Summit you can use the arm rest to climb, it was always easier and felt safer with my Summit. My Summit also has a larger platform and seat which makes it much more comfortable for long duration hunts. Regardless of which way you go, I would highly recommend trying to climb a tree with whatever you are looking at prior to purchase. Summits are about half the price of Lone Wolfs as well if that factors into your purchase. Good luck.

I would agree with Keith. Try before you buy. Had I done that I would never had bought the Lone Wolf. The Summit also set up quicker than the LW. I spend 10 hrs a day in mine in IL and its very comfy. To comfy, I find myself sleeping in it sometimes. Who knows what walked by me when I was sleeping. Last year I woke up once to find about a 120" 9 point standing infront of me at 30 yards. Good luck with whatever you choose. Make sure you practice with it before you hit the woods.

Total Chaos

Vince,

I spend around 200 hours in a tree during the fall and tried most all stands but the lone wolf. The summit viper is my stand of choice. I have both the open front and the viper ss. I prefer the ss with the rail for 2 reasons. First and foremost is safety (some early mornings I tend to close my eyes til daylight). Second is climbing. I find it alot easier and quieter to sit and climb rather than using my arms. The rail doesn't seem to get in my way for shooting the bow either, but you have to be careful. It also makes me feel safer when standing, kinda keeps you boxed in.

They're both very quiet and nest together nicely for packing in and out. They are a little bulky because they don't lay flat but the trade off is no noise putting the stand back into climbing position when you reach your tree. All you have to do is remove the strap that holds the 2 parts together and put your cables around the tree, and your climbing in a couple of minutes. No fussing around with nuts and bolts in the dark which can be very noisy and a PIA if you drop one.

Grips the tree very well. Good stable platform. Climbs quietly. Also extremely comfortable for long days (naps) in the tree.

I'd be happy to let you try mine, but don't plan on being back to NY for a couple of weeks. Guessing you want to purchase very soon. My open front is for sale/trade, but I would go with the ss.

Good luck with your search and hunting.

Jeff

I love my Lone Wolf climber. First I have to admit I am a little on the portly side...no jokes.. 6 foot 3 and 310 lbs with navel lint. Add heavy clothing and bow and optical stuff and with sandwich and water bottle...bump a close 330. This stand has carried me up and down most any tree from one that measures 12 inches diameter to bigger than I can reach around.

It's advantages are

Very quiet, no squeaks while adjusting positions.

Very light, back packs easy with its own straps. Supplied Bungee holds the nested halves together quietly as you travel.

Can be carried up with tree straps behind head or down or remove them entirely roll them up in a large pocket.

The cable reinforced rubber straps are the easiest positive adjust and lock I have used. Never feel unsafe with them..(remember I'm a big guy.) Ambidextrous too locks to the tree from right or left faceing the stand on the ground.

Very easy rigging in the dark. No screws or nuts to loose.

Size 12 heavy pac boots can still get in the frame for climbing and descending.

Has pockets in the platform for holding your bow between your legs, upright and right there for that low movement grab.

Also for holding some branch cover in the corners of the platform.

Some small detractors are

A little hard to get the nesting and binding straps fastened back without a little fumbling with getting the nesting cross straps buckled the same as when it came apart. Probably just me anyway.

As someone mentioned earlier about the twist in the tree straps...it does do that on smaller diameter trees because of the angle needed for a good bite. But keeping the tree straps tighter and closer to the platform eliminates most of it. Never made me concerned.

Not the most comfortable seat, its a sling but it does move easily out of the way when standing. And its quiet. Your legs will slide it back on the rise from the seated position.

One note...look at the base of the tree and see if it is fatter than the section of trunk you think your going to settle at. If it is you will have too adjust the tree straps so the platforms are angled upwards at a Sharp degree so that when you get to your settle point the platforms will level out. It takes practice but is easy to guage after a couple times.

I've had this climber for 7 years and has not ever failed in any way, nor have I felt unsafe useing it. The tree straps are very durable and have not shown any wear after spending at least 20 days a year climbing twice a day..

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I have had a summit around 10 years now and absolutely love it. With that said, I was having a meal and watching MNF in Iowa two years ago during the rut and met a guy. As we were talking, he asked if I am from around here, I told him I grew up in Iowa and living in NY. I told him I am out here deer hunting. He asked if I use climbers. I said I do and swear by the Summits. He said he is the Father in law of the guy that owns Lone Wolf. He gave me a card and said to contact him and he would give me 50% off a new climber. I called last year and low and behold I bought a Lone Wolf 50% off that was a demo(Used in a commercial). I told the owner I would try it out and give an honest review.

The review I gave him was the Lone Wolf is very quiet although I am so use to my Summit and still like the Summit a little bit more. The Summit is wider which is a big advantage with heavier clothes bow hunting. Also the seat on the Lone Wolf was so uncomfortable that I googled issues with Lone Wolf and many bad reviews with the seat. I did what alot of others stated they did to correct the issue, bought a replacement Summit seat from Cabelas and installed, no more issues with comfort.

I am getting more comfortable with the Lone Wolf and like it but still love the Summit. I have permanent stands on the land I own and other land I hunt in NY. In Iowa I go out each year bowhunting and strictly use climbers and am happy with both, if I bought another though I would go with another Summit.

Sorry bout my long rant.

Since no one else mentioned it, i'll throw api in there as well. Not sure about the newer stands, but I have the older bow hunter model. It's an open faced climber, welded aluminum so its quiet, and I love it. Weighs 16 lbs and I replaced the seat with a hazmore seat and its comfier then anything. A kid I take hunting has a summit viper and I don't think I would like it after owning my current stand. Not for archery anyway. I prefer the open front stands. The climbing stirrups are a nice touch and the seat looks nice, but leave it out in the weather and I'm sure it holds some water. That's part of the reason I replaced the foam/cloth seat on mine. Also the summit doesn't pack very well. The pieces slide together nice but seems like a pain in the to carry the way the straps and seat are in there. Whatever climber you get, one thing worth adding is a pack frame with the kidney straps to help take the weight off your shoulders. I bought the molle pack frames/straps and used zip ties to fasten them onto my stands. World of difference walking in with the extra support. And for 25 bucks to outfit both of my stands, a lot cheaper then what they sell at the stores.

Mark (skippy) how du hel..l do ya find a tree that will hold you.. I sort of envision the charlie brown Christmass tree ,Before the blanket. :o

No wonder yer truck only gets 4 mpg :lol:

Ray, its like my boat, I got the kicker and six gallons of gas on the opposite side of the boat from where I drive on. The tree also has to lean a little to the opposite side from where I climb on. It helps to hug the tree first and let it get to know you.

Yeah my foot gets kinda heavy too at the end of the day. Maybe a boat throttle would be better :wondering:

And yes sit and climb style is good. Unless yer into doing chin ups with weights on yer feet. In my case I got too much weight already.....jeeze where did that come from? :dull:

:inlove::inlove:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys, for all the great info. I ended up choosing the new Summit Viper SD. It's lighter than prior models, and I was already familiar with their cable system. Backpacks easily, climbs quietly. Think I have to monkey with the seat as this past weekend was the first time I used it. Also move the foot stirrups, as I found myself using the forearm climbing method as sitdown/standup made it hard to keep on my feet. A few adjustments and it will be great. The most important thing is I feel safe in it.