R. I. P. Capt. Ron (Grazzo) Grazioplena '48 - '11

The old salts who fished Point Breeze in the '70's, '80's and early '90's will remember "Grazzo" -- a fixture at the docks infront of the Black North. Capt. Ron ran Surfari Charters out of his 24 foot Stamos for many years and was one of the original captains from the early era of charter fishing on Lake Ontario.

He retired from fishing in the mid '90's to devote more time to his real passion - waterfowl hunting. One day he decided he did not want to hunt any more and spent the rest of his life managing his own private marsh to provide habitat for nesting birds.

A special place in our hearts will be empty with the passing of this good friend!!

Good post,Self,and Rick,

I'll Bet some great stories Have been forever lost with his passing.

Over the years I've taken a "few" old timers out and love to hear them all.

The lessons of "LIFE" shared by others give us all that special feeling of connection with that person. One of the best parts of derbys to me is hearing all the "stories" of the good oll days.

This year when one Captian was awarded a big ball of copper stuck to a board was a good short example.

Not to get "Too" all warm and fuzzy a short "open Mike" at each (indoor) Capt.meeting might get a few lafs ..and break the ice for many to get to know each other.

And as ive said before when them new guys step up to the plate for the first Derby,give them a little introduction to the old timers who all shared those jitters many years ago.

And Yes tho I never knew this man, but Im shure ive learned something from him from the trickle down effect of succesful fishing on "OUR POND"

Ron was a personal friend of mine, I knew him for many years.Back when deer season didn't have the muzzleloader or bow season after shotgun season he would gather up as many guys that had doe permits left that he could find and would come out to my buddies land to push the woods to fill as many permits as we could.Ron knew A LOT about salmon and years ago I would talk fishing as much as I could to try to learn what I could.Now he's trolling the big lake in the sky,never a dull hook,never a break-off and always flat calm water.Hope to fish with him again some day

RIP Capt. Ron(Family of mine)...I grew up fishing with big Ron at the Oak. You will be missed by everyone in the family. I still remember his green spoons,if u knew him he fished those a lot. His boat had the biggest cooler I've ever seen...always full of salmon....