Poles for Copper Wire?

I've got two large Penn Reels collecting dust and was thinking of putter copper line on them. My question is what kind of poles do I get to run copper line? I don't want the copper to chew up the guides on my downrigger or dipsey poles. Also do people use inline planer boards with them? If so what kind along with what kind of snaps?

• 4 months later...

I have been running 2 Okuma 8' 2 piece Convector rods thats guides are made to accommodate the larger copper line with out any hassle. They also have a triangular handle which is a nice feature. It seems to reduce the hand and arm fatigue for when the lures go for a nice long ride time and time again as you are fighting a big fish. Love using the copper. I like to hand that rod off to a buddy when it fires knowing it's going to be a little bit time before we'll get to see that fish. :lol:

As said before, copper is very soft so you can run it through just about any rod that has good back bone, but there is a lot more surface area on copper causing more friction. Which makes it much harder to reel in. Some guys like roller rods to combat this but they are pricey. I prefer Okuma classic pro Copper/leadcore 8'6" rods. I have 2 and they work very well and cost about $40 at local tackle shops. I just saw them in Dicks the other day. :yes:

For your second ? guys do use big church boards and other inline boards to run copper. I think All Seasons Tackle in Pulaski had some big inline boards for copper. I run mine off the big boards with shower curtain hooks and rubber bands.

• 1 month later...

Bazooka

Ya I bought 2 of those UG BWD1101 -9 s last yr in hi speed mode on the way to Fairhaven for a 9 day trip. They were $54. ea. I ran them and liked them. Atomik reccomends them. I just picked up 4ea. Okuma Classic Pro GLT Rod - CP-CL-862M for $36ea. They appear to be comparible at less price.

Thanks Uncle Buck! I got 6 of the 8' 3" ugly stiks. Might just try using a couple of those. What's 9 inches? LOL Still wondering how you spent 9 days in the fairest of havens! Although i'm sure you were out-to-sea and/or drinkin "ices" for most of the time. I'm sure it wasn't spent admiring all them "honeys" at the beach.

• 4 weeks later...

I have used 7 & 8' Shimano TDR heavy action rods with success. Heavy rods with tight drags is a stragety that seems to be effective in landing a high percentage of long copper fish. If they are not hooked well they pull off in the first moments of the fight saving fishing time.