fishing the 18 mile (Olcott)

Thinking of fishing in 18 mile, Olcott. This will be the 1st time we will trying this kind of fishing. Could anyone offer any suggestions as to what to use, how to use the preferred method and where to anchor or drift? Thanks, I know I ask a lot of questions. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tony

What kind of fishing are you looking to do, boat, pier, wade?

Are you looking to fish up in the creek, in the harbor or out in the lake?

If you are going to fish up in the creek, you can take a small boat quite a ways upstream as long as you stay in the channel. Years ago we used go upstream a bend of two from the marina, anchor along the edge of the channel (toss the anchor into the weeds at the edge of the channel) and drift chunks of cured salmon skein under floats in the channel and do quite well. I always did well with skein chunks cured with the flame orange fluorescent pro cure. The new Pautzke's cure looks very good as well, but of course, first you need to catch a hen to get some eggs :) . You can also cast large stickbaits like thundersticks, rebel fastracs, j13 rapalas, etc.

Anchoring out in the lake at night and casting glow spoons can be really effective, as will doing the same off either pier.

Tim

Tony, with the forecast of strong NE, North winds this weekend, the fish will be moving in with the waves between the piers. Launch your boat and travel towards the mouth. Where you pass the last boat slips entering into olcott harbor at the metal retaining wall, there is a deep hole that gathers fish. Anchor and fish eggs on the bottom or cast glow spoons at night. :beer: