channel cats

yeah they do taste good i'm so sick of bass fishing, only went once this year, so now all i'm focusing on is fishing for things ill eat, and new species that i dont really know how to fish for, seems like this will be a fun one. thank guys

Have caught channels incidentally fishing for other species in Seneca Lake. Picked them up on Sutton and Miller spoons while trolling for smallies and jack perch in October, trolling 50 to 60ft down over 75 to 90 fow towards the north end, north of the Belhurst Hole....Only caught 2 of them, about 4 to 5 lbs. each. Nice fish and a good surprise, but nothing surprises me in New York waters!!

If your in geneva take the drive up to mays point I take the kids there to catch catfish with 4 rods its tough to go more than 5 mind without a bite use any commercial catfish bait and fish the current from the bridge down lots of fish to 5lbs to keep you busy and there are many big ones in there as well to make it exciting

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

If you have a boat you can launch at the black creek launch just west of east river road off Jefferson road, be careful there is quite a drop off at the end of the launch so back your boat in to the bare minimum. Black creek dumps into the river right there its also a good spot to fish from shore although I don't know if I would fish there alone at night there can be some scaries wandering around. Another good spot and I wouldn't know how to tell you to get there without a boat is down near genesee valley park where the river meets the canal, head north up the river from black creek you can't miss it . If you head up stream from black creek anyplace there is a log pile you can anchor up stream and cast near the log pile those cats will find your bait! Good luck!

Tom

the lower genesse can produce to but the better areas have no good shore access that being said I have had some great catfish days in front of the power plant on the seth green side espiciallly drifting worms under a float to avoid snags. The cats leave no doubt when they hit. that whole area you can access along seth green can produce cats and other fish such as sheepshead walleye and some bass but the neiborhood its in sucks the walk is a pain and its a drive for you mays point is closer and has better access and more consistant fishing also my biggest sheepshead ever came from mays. I only fish the genny from the boat these days when I got the kids I still go to mays or a similar place on the way there you will pass an access and boat launch by montezuma you can fish there and it does produce some fish will get crowded during bullhead season. you can also fish mudlocks where you can access the canal the river or the lake and on any given day theres lots to be caught around there though for cats I still recomend the river I always do better when theres some current and log jams always hold fish. I moved to geneva several years back and spent a lot of time researching fishing access at the time I did not have a boat. If you need some directions PM me I can help you out.