Skaneateles 10-7-11

Fished from boat lauch to 5 mile. Hit 1 15" laker. Pushed to west side (flagpole point) fished north for about an hour. Hit 2 lakers.. both around 15" .... All were released.

Is there any lake trout bigger than 15" in this lake??????

East Side: 80 over 100 FOW..

West Side: 90 over 120-140...

I did not target Lakers but I went to Skinny this am 10/8 with a friend and here is my report;

Very in awespicious start to the morning. On the way out there had a oppossum commit suicide. No chance, stopped right in my lane :o thump thump. Get to the launch right on time :) Then after launching the boat I park the truck, and go to jump in the boat. Then I hear chink chink plunk. Sh*t truck keys fall out of my jacket pocket into the water :@ After screwing around for 20 minutes with the net and spot light finally got them to where I could grab them. Finally get set up all be it a little later now. Went 4 for 5 on Rainbows with 1 nice one @ 24" 4 1/2 lbs. :yes: on a floating perch rapala. Others came on needle fish with a little weight on them. All action off boards 2.4 to2.8 mph 40-50 fow. Still a little warm 62 deg. on top. Switched programs @ 9:45 to perch. Got into some in 25 fow, minnows with red hooks 8) Turned out to be a beautiful day on the water, fishin wasn't bad either. Off the water by noon had chores to do.

LilByte, I talked with a guy on the way out who did six lakers but I did not get the details. They are out there and well over 15" . I have done it many times, keep at it.

PA080017.jpg

PA080019.jpg

Wow what a day on Skaneateles... Thanks to Hook em.. I was trolling way too slow.. Hit at least 10 Lake trout in 3 hours! Limit on lakers for the two of us.. went for rainbow with no luck at all. Couldn't even see them on the humminbird..

Lakers were taken on the east side between 5 and 10 mile point.. about a mile north of 10 mile we couldn't get one rigger down before the other popped.

Rigger down 75' in 100 FOW. Using Orange and Silver Speedy Shiners and same color Mooslook Thinfish..

DSC_0416.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Man, don't know what is going on out there this year but this is the worst fall rainbow fishing I have ever had there. Been out on skinny 3 more times since my last post and only managed 1 bow each trip with very few hits :no: Temps are right, conditions are right, but no fish :( Been using the same program that has worked in the past and even tried changing things up with no results. I would like to think I am doing something wrong but I have been going over my past logs and everything seems to be the same but with a lot less results this year, puzzling to me.

One thing did stick out to me and I wanted to get some thoughts on it. I remember reading in a book that when surface trolling you should always troll with the sun at your back. Reasoning was that fish don't have eyelids and it is much like us looking into the sun without sun glasses. I don't think it makes much difference fishing deeper but my last 3 trips all fish taken came with the sun at my back. Past logs I kept support the theroy with very few fish taken trolling directly into the sun. Any thoughts?

HI, thanks for the report, and please keep us posted on any subsequent troll for bows trips. I went a week ago, trolled 6 hrs, with streamers, flatlined stickbaits, and downrigged spoons from 10 to 50 ft. The total catch was 2 puny sub legal lake trout. Very discouraging. Surface temp a week ago was 58 - 59. I thought that too warm, and am hoping for better once it gets closer to 50.

I would welcome any updates on your activities on Skan. I will do the same. Thanks.

Think I have made my last boating trip to skinny this year in search of that ever elusive rainbow trout. Went Sunday am, motored down to the south end and trolled back north to the launch along the west side. Had the wind and sun at my back, worked in and out from 10fow to 50fow, only managed 2 lakers off the boards no bows. Had 53 deg on top, it's time but for some reason it just never happend this fall and I have no idea why, very disappointing :no: This will be logged as my worst fall ever out there :( Well time to switch gears to hunting.