1995 Evinrude 70hp Motor Question

Sea Lion

Hi,

I have a 1995 70hp Evinrude with oil injection. The problem I'm having as of lately is the starting process.

It is difficult to start...runs real rough, stalls..eventually I get it going but it is REAL SMOKEY for about 4-5 minutes and eventually "pollutes" to a normal amount. Not going to get it fixed until the beginning of next season but any idea of what might be wrong with it? During the starting process, I have to choke it two to three times to prevent it from stalling which is how precarious it has become. It is only getting worse.

Thanks,

Bob

SEA LION,,,,,

I HAVE THE SAME ENGINE IN A 90 HORSE.... AND AM IN THE SAME BOAT (PUN INTENDED) AS YOU... THE MAN I BOUGHT IT FROM TOLD ME IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN COLD BLOODED.. AM GONNA CHANGE THE PLUGS AND SEE WHATS WHAT...ALSO THINK THINK OIL TO GAS RATIO MAY BE TOO HIGH..BUT IM NOT SURE TO CHECK THAT ONE...MAYBE SOMEONE WILL READ THIS AND KNOW THE ANSWER..THEIR IS A LOT OF GUYS ON HERE WHO REALLY KNOW THEIR STUFF...CROSS YOUR FINGERS...HARRY

Just a thought guys, but the ethanol in today's fuels has been known to deteriorate and break-down the inside lining of older rubber fuel lines. This can actually 'clog' the lines before the fuel reaches the filter. Had this happen to me, changed the fuel lines over to the new ethanol safe fuel line, and that solved my problem.

Edd

Sea Lion how does it run when its warmed up? I had a 1990 90 horse Evy and it was a coldblooded beast! On colder damp mornings it would do what yours is doing. Its normal to use the choke intermittently upon cold starts. Its better to let it cough and sputter versus raising the throttle to smooth it out. I had mine rebuilt and thats how it acted and they told me it was fine. Check the plugs and fuel filter and go from there!

There really is no such thing as a cold blooded beast in outboard engines.

Usually there are a few problems that combine together and create the sort of trouble that you describe. It is never a bad thing to clean or change your plugs,specially when you troll a lot running a very low rpm. A slightly hotter plug may be called for in that case. A smoking engine is not usually because of a mixture that is too rich,but if you suspect your fuel mix,just mix a bottle with 1:50 and start it with that. If it does not smoke then you have too much oil. Improbable ,but possible. One thing you should check is your fuel enrichener. Maybe it is stuck in open position after you push the key in and only releases after a few minutes when the engine warms up.Another thing may be the air supply to the intakes. Some dirt in the air holes in your hood may cause this sort of trouble. How about the spark? Are all the plugs firing or is there a bad coil? How about the link and sync?

The best thing is to check the trouble shooting page in your manual and do all the checks.That way you go by trial and elimination. Always do the cheap things first.

The even better thing to do is to buy a manufacturers manual for your engine.The 1990s manuals are very user friendly.The Chiltons and Selocs are nice but useless and most of the E_Bay CDs are Selocs.

Cornelis.

• 2 weeks later...

ditto rolmops...the enrichner is a the first place i would look...it has a float and the manual valve has a tendancy to crack on them...this can cause leaks inside the cowl and eventually a blown up cowl if not checked...

the parts to rebuild the enrichner are inexpensive and the task is very easy if you have any mechanical aptitude...if you own a boat and you dont you must be rich...

the cover of the enrichner tends to warp also...it can be trued with a fine flat file and when youre done you wont believe how much better it runs cold...

make sure all of your grounds and wiring connections under the hood are clean and tight also...down here in the salt these things are especially important...

Just fixed a frieds 70 HP that was doing the same thing.

Get an electric fuel pump and pump out all of your old gasoline.

mix 2 cups of simple green into scalding hot water and pour it in the fuel tank.

let it sit for 2-3 days.

Pump all the water out.

add 1 gallon of Acetone to the fuel tank. It will remain in there when you fill the rest of the tank with fresh High Test Gas or AVGAs if you can get it.

Remove all of your all rubber hoses and any gas filters. throw them away and go buy brand new high PSI 3/8 fuel hose and ss clamps and a fuel filter bracket & spin on fuel water seperator. ( One for Each fuel tank) install them on the outside engine bulkhead so that if you spill and fuel it wont go into the bildge. Keep and extra set of 5 to 10 micron filters handy to cchange anytime your getting water in the fuel.

Remove the float bowl on your carbs and clean with carb cleaner. Add a small inline clear glass fuel filter under your motor cowling with a 2 mictron filter in it

Install new sparkplugs. The Platinum type with open electrodes

Tank up with fresh gas

Go fishing

AnimatedManinBoat.gif

This may or may not help you,but it shows how little things can really make a difference.

My 9.5 kicker caused me a lot of trouble this summer.It turned out to be a broken bolt on the head that slightly warped the head and caused the head gasket to blow. This was easily figured out and repaired.

I figured that I might as well service the entire thing and replaced the plugs,condensers and points. Back on the water it did run but very rough,irregular and it smoked. I checked the link and sync and cleaned the carburetor but that did not help,so the flywheel came off again and the points were readjusted.

At this point I found out was the problem was. The screw on top of one of the point brackets that holds the connections from the condenser and the coil was loose and this caused the lower cylinder to get irregular and poor spark. As a result of this, it was hard to start the engine and it smoked like a fiend. While on the water it used a lot of gas because part of the time it ran on one cylinder. As the engine warmed up it smoked less but I did not quite figure out why that was,although I have my suspicions

The moral of the story is: Where there is smoke, there is unburnt fuel.When there is no ignition in one of the cylinders the fuel will come out as smoke. As the other cylinders warm up, they will burn better and the overall amount of smoke will be way less.

In my case a simple tightening up a screw solved the problem,maybe your problem is of similar nature.

Cornelis.