Hi y'all I am new to this forum

Name: Paul

Location: Greece, Charlotte, Rochester (pretty much where they all meet)

Home Port: Rochester

Boat Name/Type: The S.S. Nattylight (thats the name of my john boat back in Ohio) -NO BOAT

I fish for: Fun... but i'd like to learn to catch salmon and trout. But if it has gills I don't mind catching it

==================

Hi all, My name is Paul. I am 28 years old and I just moved to the Rochester area at the end of August for work. I was born and raised in Ohio so fishing Lake Ontario and this area in general is new to me. I'm excited to catch some salmon and trout because we did not have them in Ohio. I do not have a boat here in NY so I will be doing my fishing from the shore. I may get a kayak or canoe to explore some of the smaller bodies of water. I joined this forum because I figured it would be a good place to gain some knowledge about fishing in this area. Take care :)

Welcome to the site Paul. Sounds like you're located around the ponds. Try tossing a few cleos around the mouths early then late in the day. There's a few Kayak-rs on here that have been doing pretty well.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Thanks Tom! I took a drive yesterday to see if anyone was fishing on the ponds but the road was closed so i took the detour and eventually got to drive pass them but I did not see anyone fishing. Do people fish along the shore of the lake there or do they fish on the other side of the road on the pond side? I was kinda wondering where people fished the shore on the ponds. I kind of got the sense that either area was someone's yard due to the houses being right on the Lake and on the pond side of the road alot of people have docks and small boats. I didn't want to trespass.

Always best to ask permission if you're going close to someone's property. Head up the road a bit toward Russell station. You won't have any access problem there. Even tho the plant has been shut down a while, some decent fish do stray in there. You also may want to give I-Bay channel & mouth a shot. (Nice parking lots both places)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

• 3 months later...

Hi Paul, Welcome to the site. You sure have picked a good forum to join to learn about salmon & trout fishing on Lake O. A lot of guys are willing to share tips on where to go and what to use. There's also buku info in the Search feature on most any questions you may have.

As far as not having a boat, that's not a big problem. There's a number of spots you can catch fish from shore. Especially in early Spring when the Browns are near shore and in the Fall during the Salmon runs up the Rivers & Tributaries. You might also keep and eye on or post in the Trade A Trip Section of the Forum for guys willing to share an open seat to do some offshore fishing. There's many Charter Capts. on here also that offer trips for very reasonable rates.

Good luck, thanks for joining, & have fun Paul, it's a blast out there.

Bob

• 5 years later...