turkey

bob 13

Bob 13,

In my opinion, what is more important than the gun is a gun choke tube and enough experience with the gun to know how and where it patterns.

I have a basic 870 that a friend of mine camo painted (..he does a really nice job). I have a good quality "turkey special" choke tube. I shoot winchester 3 inch shells, with #4 shot. The gun patterns very well and can reach out and touch them a fiairly long distances...

Not the fanciest gun in my collection, but I am highly confident in it when I am out in the field.

That is my 2 cents..

I use a 97winchester pump 12ga. 30" full choke with 2 3\4" 4s or 5s. A little camo tape and its good to go. the Old man gave it to me when I was 13, and I killed a pile of ducks and rabbits and pheasants and a few turkeys. Its got a tight pattern.I didn't want to shoot steel through it so it sat a while before I started to hunt turkey.

• 1 year later...

the best way i can tell u is contact Carlson chokes and tell them what model gun you have and what load u wanna use and they will set u right up. the best thing about this is no guessing and no trying 5 different loads to see what patterns the best. and there easy on your pocket

mossberg 535 31/2" turkey gun. tube and camo comes with it. inexpensive but very functional. kicks a bit because it is light. you wont notice the kick when you make a bird breakdance. I shoot a 10 gauge which is overkill and heavy but it is deadly. 3 1/2 12 gauge is very close to the 10 gauge

535 is a good gun.  But it kicks like a mule.  I'd prefer the 835 which is a little heavier. less recoil because a lil heavier.   extra full choke  Winchester double x number 4  2 1/4 ounce.  it'll do anything you want.  guarantee it.  kills over 50+yds  so you can reach out and touch them if need be

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a New England fire arms single shot full choke 12 gage,cheap,long range,shot a Tom at 50 yards running!tight pattern,takes 3" shells,spray painted it to camo it,only down fall is it is super lite and kicks pretty good.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United