Canandaigua 10/8, 9, 10th

What an amazing weekend of weather!! Originally had two 1/2 day trips planned for Saturday and Sunday. Started with Joel on Saturday who grew up on Canandaigua Lake and now resides in Haiti. He had lots of fishing stories from the fifties through the seventies before he moved. We started around 7:30 and put a small brown and a rainbow in the boat pretty quick. started hitting lakers and more bows pretty consistant after that. Lakers ran pretty small up to 3-4lbs but the bows were great and ran up to 5 or so with some pretty spunky fish. Got most of the bows on sliding cheaters and lead cores with cranks and spoons. Joel was pretty happy and decided he wanted to go back out Monday.

Got out Sunday at 7 with Christine and her husband Mike for his Birthday. Fish were active right from the start. We hit a brown as soon as the lines went in and it was pretty steady from there. The rainbows were hot and Mike and Christine really wanted me to target them. Sliding cheaters with spoons were hot and with some really big bows. Took a shot off the rigger on the cheater and had a huge bow on with Christine on the rod. This bow jumped at least three times and she could barely move it! A few minutes more and the line lightened up quite a bit. When she reeled it in there was a 3lb Laker on the main line and the Bow was gone. Getting towards eleven thirty and the end of the trip and we got a screamer on the rigger. Mike landed the 8lb bow which ran some drag a couple times and Mike decided a full day would be in order. I don't remember the final count but they released over nine by eleven am.

Went back out with Joel on Monday and as soon as I set out the first Lead core we had a fish on. Not for long and this turned quickly into a trend. We dropped the first 3 fish we hooked. After that we landed 2 lakers and lost a nice Bow. A short while later we had a great rip on the rigger. Joel grabbed the rod and imeadiatly said this is a heavy fish! He did a great job bringing in the fish which was as fat as any rainbow I have ever seen. Lake trout bite for me has been a little slow and the one female I did look at was droppin eggs. Joel told me to take the next rip and sure enough I lost the Bow on the second jump. Bite was slower on Monday but still a solid day with some great fish.

294874_10150351549022179_611157178_8039891_617396540_n.jpg

Just one of Joel's nice Bows