Leadcore again.

rolmops

I received my extra reels and 2 Penn 330 GTI reels and 1 Penn 320 GTI will be transferred to leadcore.The 330s will easily hold 10 colors and the 320 will be fine with 8 colors. I was thinking about taking the 10 color lines and splicing in a few feet of 30 pound mono at 6 and 8 colors so they can be easily used at different lengths when running them of the boards.Did any of you good people ever try this and if so ,how did it work out?

Thanks,Cornelis.

• 4 weeks later...

Cornelis,

I wouldn't worry about splicing in mone line sections into your lead core so that you can run them at different lenghts from a release. When I run lead core it's usually when the fish are in the top 50 feet. To me the advantage with lead core when fish are up high is you can put the leadcore line right in a qaulity side planer release. I often run my 10 colors cores at different intervals from the release, like one at 4 colors, and the other at 7 colors.

If you use a good side planer release, with rubber pads, it won't damage the dacron extorior jacket on the lead core, and you shouldn't have any problems with break offs.

To me there is too much room for error once you start cutting and splicing and creating weak points in your set-up.

I hope this helps, good luck.

I hope this helps

The biggest PITA would be the leadcore dragging in the water from the rod tip to the planner board.

That's what my main concern is,and that is why I thought about splicing a few 50 foot sections into the core

That is a good point about the slack from rod to release, there is some, but then again I usually run my boards a little shorter when running the leadcore off of them. Just out far enough to keep them out of the dipsies.

• 2 months later...

I have walleye boards with the tattle flag system, and 12lb suffix lead core. Will the 12lb be strong enough to stand up to the clips? I really don't want to have to splice in mono like mentioned above, but I don't want to be losing my line or boards either. Any advice?

Please and Thank you

alex

Cornelius,

I know that's popular on the flx, but I'm not sure for Ontario. After fishing with many different people I have learned that it is safer to just set up a few different colors or coppers. I have a three, two fives, eight, ten. And coppers a 100, 150, 200, 300... I'd rather know I have less knots than worry about one of ten possibly failing. I know guys here use a thirty to fifty lbs leader about three foot in length to do your set up in between colors.

Nick

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Hello Nick.

It's good to see that you got your charter business going, All the best with it.

Your point about failing knots is well taken and I have moved away from the splicing idea. I now have 6 leadcore rods and reels.2 10s 2 8s and 2 6s It will just have to do.

The leadcore off the planer boards has been very good for browns, Cohos and steelhead on lake O ,but also on Owasco Lake where on 10 and 8 color lines at 2.2 while zigzagging I have managed to catch at least one brown on either sawbellies or small stingers every time in about 40 to 60 foot of water over 90 foot.

If you feel like doing some fishing on Lake Ontario just send me a PM. I still owe you a 14 pound steel head.

Cornelis

Hello Nick.

It's good to see that you got your charter business going, All the best with it.

Your point about failing knots is well taken and I have moved away from the splicing idea. I now have 6 leadcore rods and reels.2 10s 2 8s and 2 6s It will just have to do.

The leadcore off the planer boards has been very good for browns, Cohos and steelhead on lake O ,but also on Owasco Lake where on 10 and 8 color lines at 2.2 while zigzagging I have managed to catch at least one brown on either sawbellies or small stingers every time in about 40 to 60 foot of water over 90 foot.

If you feel like doing some fishing on Lake Ontario just send me a PM. I still owe you a 14 pound steel head.

Cornelis

I'll have to take you up on that and thank you!!!!

Nick

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png