Epic fishing in Saltwater!

Went fishing on monday. searching for big um cods and haddocks. after fishing two weeks in upstate NY. :yes:

can't complain anymore! Caught 30 pounds Cod and 15 pound haddock for biggest fish of day... Wait, epic fishing didn't end here! when I was reeling something that I assumed it was small fish. End up, I was right! small Redfish was landed. my new species that being caught. wicked awesome! next cast, boom, 13 pounds cusk! I knew I was in middle of something verge to be happen soon. And I was right. I caught huge cod and have hard time reel it in. until my line started to screaming hard. after couple minutes of managing the screaming line, fish stopped and swim directly to me. I was reeling fast as i could. then landed it! huge Blue shark hooked with big cod's head into the shark's mouth. Blue shark was around 12-13 feet long. however, this shark was impressed me because that cod was around 20 pound and shark have no problem to bite it half. Next thing that captain and I saw, we raised maybe 7-10 blue sharks around on surface after released that shark. We definitely dont want to do that. So we moved couple of miles away. oh man. I am glad to move that new spot. because epic fishing was still continues! after landing many cods.. captain told me that this will be last drift before we going home. I kept jigging for it. felt small nibbling. bam! small cod... wasn't what i wanted for end of my day. so i reeled fast as i could. somehow, I noticed that when I reeled. line wasn't gaining or pulled. I knew I have something bigger on it. I assumed it was shark. so i told capt that I have big one. Captain was laughing, tell me, "again?" I said, "yeah, but this one felt different." So he reeled it up and went to control the engine. Oh boy! when fish heard the engine started. fish was running for life. we had to chase that fish while gaining the line quickly. (FYI, I have 330gti reel with 600 feet of 60lbs braid line) we realized that this one was not shark at all. until 15 minutes later, fish was swimming "ring of death.." we knew this one was tuna but how big it was? until we got hold of it. 61 incher! very fat! we assume it was close to 120 pounds. we released it back into water. we are done for the day! :beer:

oh man. Epic fishing is on fire right now! :D

Can't wait to get out soon! :inlove:

;( no photos except redfish.. will post it later.

Here it is.. Redfish...

IMG_20110920_00143.jpg

Yeah, trip didn't end on monday, I went out on Tuesday. Caught two 35lber striper bass then come home. due with my captain's back problem. so he decide to catch striper for dinner so we did. those striper definitely look like twins.. :lol:

IMG_20110914_00131.jpg

nbajack70 - yeah, still have the rush feeling from it.

Gator - It is great day! :yes:

Chautauqua Tony - I already have another Tuna meats in freezer that I caught in first week of September. Still too plentyful meat that might lasting 4-5 months. That's why we released it back into water. :D

Chautauqua Tony - I forget to add something, federal permit was allow us to keep any tunas from 27-59in and over 73 inches. so We had to released it anyway. since that tuna was 61 inch.

Pike Hunter - This epic fishing wont be staying long. so I assume it will be over sometimes this weekend or next week. except for tunas. (depends on how cold water moving around) maybe next year? or wait until I get the boat same as yours! :lol:

That fish is definitely a "redfish" - more commonly called ocean perch. It is not a red snapper

Deaf fisherman - way to go bud!!! Make sure we get out on Lady O again next year with Anthony D.

Good luck,

- Chris

That fish is definitely a "redfish" - more commonly called ocean perch. It is not a red snapper

Deaf fisherman - way to go bud!!! Make sure we get out on Lady O again next year with Anthony D.

Good luck,

- Chris

Ooops, I was thinking Red Drum (Redfish also). I have never seen one of those ocean Perch Redfish. Looks a little like a Red Snapper. Either way, I'll bet it was tasty!!! Nice stripers also!

Good luck,

- Chris

Ooops, I was thinking Red Drum (Redfish also). I have never seen one of those ocean Perch Redfish. Looks a little like a Red Snapper. Either way, I'll bet it was tasty!!! Nice stripers also!

• 3 months later...