Question on curing egg sacs after the catch

I need advice on "curing" egg sacs. I got a big freezer bag full now that I landed a nice female. I went on the net and really do not want to go through a 16 step process. So, for now, I rinsed them in a strainer and they are in the fridge keeping cool. I have so many now I would like to freeze some as there is no way I can possibly use them this year if this is even possible. So my question(s) is what do I need to buy (or make) and how do I "cure " them. I also have skien integrated in them. I know how to tie them. Alsio, I do not even know why this has to be done as fish naturally pounce on the eggs without a secret potion when they are drifting in the river so why can't I just tie them up?. So basically, what do I need to do and the easiest way and if I can freeze some for next season. Thank you in advance!

From an old post by Rocketman:

"I've fished steelhead for close to 50 years using roe, & have tried dozens of curing methods over the years. And the best by far for me is 20 mule team borax, which in Can. can be found in the laundry soap section of your supermarket. One box, which only costs $5.00, will last many years. & cure many eggs. It doesn't take long, & is really quite simple.

I separate the eggs from the skiene by using a large spoon so I end up with single eggs. Put the eggs into a flour sifter, & rinse well with cold water, making sure that all blood has been removed. I let them airdry in the sifter for 10 minutes, putting a paper towel under the sifter to remove any moisture. Then put some 20 Mule Team Borax into a clean plastic container(I use a marg. container), put your eggs in, shake so they're coated, then spread them on a newspaper to air dry for 15-30 minutes. I then put them bag into a dried off flour sifter, getting rid of the borax which absorbs the moisture. I then put them into a Mason jar, & pour in some more borax. If you plan to freeze some, I fill the jar with borax & eggs about an inch from the top. Once I put them into the freezer, every 15 minutes I give the jar a shake, which keeps the eggs single, & continue doing this until the eggs are entirely frozen. When you want to take some eggs out to use, this method allows you to take out only what you need, as opposed to thawing out the whole jar, as thawing & refreezing affects the quality of the eggs. It is also important to let the eggs thaw in the fridge, not on the counter."

Borax is the base ingredient of most egg cures. The main reason for curing before freezing is to keep the eggs from popping. The curing process toughens the membrane and removes some of the liquid so that when the liquid inside freezes and forms ice crystals, the crystals don't puncture the membrane as the egg expands and contracts during the freezing/thawing process.

The rocketman post above is probably one of the best methods I've seen, but you were looking for less steps. When I'm in a hurry, here's what I do...

I remove the eggs from the skein with a spoon, like above. Next, I rinse the eggs in a strainer to get the blood out, allow to drip dry in the strainer for 5-10 minutes. Place in a plastic or glass bowl (metal is a no-no with cure) and liberally coat the eggs with cure (borax, or Atlas Mikes if you want colored cure). Stir with a plastic spoon to make sure all the eggs are coated. allow them to sit for an hour. they will make a bunch of "juice" as the cure pulls water from the eggs. Rinse thoroughly in a strainer, then spread on a paper towel for an hour to air dry a bit.

Tie your spawn sacks, place in freezer bags and freeze 'em (I bag them in sandwich zipper bags, that go in a gallon size freezer bag - seems to keep the freezer burn away). I do bags of different colors (mesh & floaties). When I'm getting ready to hit the river, I usually bring 6 - 12 of each color (depending on how long I have to fish), so I can change things up and find the colors they really want.

I don't get out on the rivers/creeks nearly as much as I'd like and don't always end up getting a hen full of eggs every year, so I've actually had cured eggs last me two seasons when they're cured this way and kept frozen.

I only use salt and sugar.

1) Rinse eggs in distilled/spring water or better yet, fill a 2L coke bottle with river water. Chlorine in tap water can make eggs go fowl.

2) Put eggs into a plastic container and then add more distilled/spring water to just cover them.

3) Add 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 teaspoon salt to the batch and mix thoroughly. Leave for a couple of hours.

4) Drain in strainer

5) Keep in fridge overnight.

6) Proportion eggs into batches you will use on a weeken (I fill a medicine bottle up) and then pour into seran wrap. Twist the seran wrap closed so you end up with a portioned sache of eggs.

7) Store in a cardboard box filled with shredded paper to protect from the frost and then freeze.

8) When you want to make sacs, take one seran sache out of the box and let it defrost naturally in the fridge for several hours.

9) Tie your nice hard eggs into sacs.

10) Put on hook, drop in water, and catch fish.

Mark

all these methods are good. I personally have never cured my eggs. I rinse them with river/creek water, put them in a strainer for 3 to 4 hours until the top layer have a filmy texture then i freeze them in ziploc bags wrapped in paper towel and tinfoil. Although i still use egg sacs i have gone to beads more for steelhead. the bead appears to be more natural looking then a clump of eggs.

rob