new to wire dipsy- how deep do they run?

Hi,

I'm new here and I'm going to make the splash into wire dipsies. I'll be running 1000' of malin wire off a Daiwa Sealine 47lc and Daiwa Medium Black Widow rod. I have a clear magnum dipsy with an O ring and would like to get a chart on how deep it goes with wire. I checked the package and Luhr Jensen web site and could only get a depth chart for running it with 20lb. mono at 2.5-3.0 mph. I know it will go deeper with wire but I have no clue as to how much deeper, how much wire I should let out, and at what setting and speed to achieve a certain depth. Does anybody have a chart or info to help me get started? I'm heading out to Oswego from NH. this coming weekend and would like to add it to my arsenal. Any other pointers on wire dipsies(flashers,flies,lures,cutbait etc..) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks A lot,

Chris

Not sure if this will completly help you, but this is what I have found on my boat. A #1 dipsy, 275 feet of line out will get me down about 90 to 100 feet trolling at about 2.7 mph GPS. Generaly it will be about a 3 to 1 ratio for the #1 dipsy. Tha mag. dipsy should get you deeper.

Good luck

Richard

I think the ratio is about 3:1 on a 2 setting. and it varies from there on. If i want 100fow then I go 300 on a 2. Do the math for the rest of the depths. I think there is a book out there that has this info in it. Go to gerat lakes angler forum and I know those guys have the name of it.

I think the ratio is about 3:1 on a 2 setting. and it varies from there on. If i want 100fow then I go 300 on a 2. Do the math for the rest of the depths. I think there is a book out there that has this info in it. Go to gerat lakes angler forum and I know those guys have the name of it.

The guys here have it too. "Precision Trolling" and "Precision Trolling, Big Water Edition" These books are pretty darn good. Like you say thought, if you don't have the book with you, use the 3 to 1 ratio. Good luck and Good Fishin. ;)