winterizing inboard outboards

bluewater

I concur with the above statement-it is also critical that you get the anti-freeze circulated through the engine and make sure there are no hidden areas where water gets trapped. Otherwise you are looking at major dollars in engine block or manifold repairs.

West Marine will have the 5 gallon plastic reservoir to hold marine antifreeze. Power up your engine with the earmuffs on running water to heat up the engine so the thermostat opens up. Take off the flame-arrester on the top of the engine block. Hook up the earmuffs to the reservoir tank, open the valve. Turn on engine and allow the antifreeze to run into the block. When the antifreeze is getting low in tank, pry open the baffles on the carbeurator and spray fogging oil into the engine so it sputters. If the engine dies from the fogging....good you are done. Change your outdrive gear oil per your owners' manual. I change the engine oil, gas filter and spark plugs in the spring. Add gas additive. Remove your batteries, charge them and check them every two months for recharging. Others could expand on this list.

• 2 weeks later...

Get a 55 gal poly barrel and cut it in half.

get a sump pump and garden hose and muffs for your outdrive or make a fvc fitting to fit to your hull intake strainer thru hull hose

with a T and Valve. Do this once and youll be ready for next year. A side benny is that in the event of flooding you valve off the hull intake and open up the flush valve and your engine acts as a wickedgood bildge pump.

2) Pour 4 gallons of antifrezze and 4 gallons of water into the 55 gal bucket.

3) start thesump pump

4) Start your engine to get it warmed up.

5) Change your oil and filters when its hot.

6) Discomnnect the sump pump.

7) Remove your batteries and store on a charger for winter.

8) Pour any remaining antifrezze mix into your Head holding tank ( You should have pumped the head prior, or your in Deep Do-Do.) you have to get it all out before it freezes.

FrozenLake_web_large.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have had a i/o for two years now. Mine is a 260 mercruser. I drain both sides(plugs).Then i disconnect the power steerting cooler and drain the risers. I changed the oil first and added a storgae additive to the oil.

One thing i found out is you should always lower your drive while in storage. Mercruser states premature failure of the bellows if not done.Have seen many boats stored with the drive up in trailer postion :(