Spring'Summer'Fall LOC derby

Fishstix

I can't wait. I just can't wait. I hope I can get some time off beside weekends to fish them.I look forward to these events every year.I have never took a nickel out of the LOC derbys. One of these years it will be my turn.Ive been driving the boat when LOC fish were caught ,Identifed winning fish for guys that didnt know what they had. Had fish caught in boats right next to me. .Seen many winning fish.

Could this be the year?

YankMe................... LMAO, sorry bud but that was funny!!

Had a buddy fish'n with another guy back in the ESLO in the late 80's, he won the ESLO and also the Classic that year and pocketed a cool 30 grand or so as well as a new 22' Grady. My buddy received $9000.00, his father purchased the ticket for him and took 8 grand and left my buddy with $1000.00.................Ouch, good idea to work out the specifics before hand.

I am like you Stix, faithfully fish the derby type events but even when we seem to place we end up with 25 or 75 bucks, lol. It's all about the fun or none of us would do it, just the thought of winning while fighting a screaming King and thinking "This is the one", "This is really the one" only to bring another 19 lber to the net........... lol, Can't wait here as well, it's all about the rush !!!

Tom

My good buddy won a Grady also, then the IRS wanted the tax on the list price of the boat package. All the good buddies back then bailed out. He was lucky to sell the boat for 50 cents on the list price, the tax man came and took his federal and state income taxes. Needless to say, a lot of good friends were lost. Make sure everyone shares the real "proceeds" after taxes and sales. Or else consider yourself lucky you didn't win and have to deal with "the sharing of the prize". Maybe the prize should go to the guy who caught the fish and keep the friendships together.

When we are derby fishing, everyone knows and has agreed to the following terms. In the event of anything over $500, the boat gets 10% and actual fisherperson who reeled in the fish gets 60% and the remainder of 30% gets split between the last 2 if a crew of 3 are fishing, for a total of 15% each. I'm on the side that the boat is entitled to a cut for the owner is providing the means to actually partake in the derby itself. However, it is a team event putting a derby fish on board, steering the boat, clearing the lines, netting the fish, etc -thus the format we have adopted. The actual "winner " gets stuck paying the lions' share of taxes, so his take should be higher than those who are a witness. Anything under $500, and the winner takes full share. Been using this for over 20 years and has worked well for us. There has been plenty of lost frienships due to not having a format in place to begin with. Let those know up front what is expected. Saves alot of misunderstanding in the end.

Guest ReelDiel

i do like billy and evil. prize minus taxes if applicable and the boat counts as an other guy. i dont feel bad about that cuz i normally replace lost tackle broken rods maintenace etc. all year, everyone always kicks in for gas so it works out.

Here's a good one. One of my buddy's wheeled in the first place fish on his cousins boat. When They went to the weigh station his cousin wanted to put everything in his name and his charter boat name to attract more business. When everything was said and done he gave him nothing. It was just those 2 on the boat. THAT'S HORRIBLE. We did take 3rd a few years back and we split it 50/50 but that does not nearly make up what his "family" did to him. Needless to say that have not spoke since

I love these kind of stories . Especially during the holidays. They warm my heart.Tickel my cockles.Keep them coming

Actually that same fish was caught twice. The boat had a swim platform on the back with a large cooler. When lifting the cooler off the handle broke and it dumped into the marina.The water was mud brown and we had to fish around with a net to get the fish back.Took about an hour but we got it.

I think the derbys give credibility. .I write all these reports but where is the proof?

Back in the fall of 2004 The Jerk Boat took 2nd, 4th and 7th place in the Lake Trout division. All prize money was split with who ever was on the boat. The boat also taking a cut. This is the only way I can see to keep everyone happy. Even the tax man.

Now here is a question I have for you Charter Boat Captains. When running a trip for profit how do you handle the winnings??

Mark,

as you know i have had money fish on the LOC board. When on a CHARTER the money is the clients - I don't ask or take a dime. It's there trip/boat/fish. The satisfaction is enough for me - plus it always leads to repeat business 8) so it is not lke you "lose out" on anything.

on when out with you guys for some "derby fishin'" it is split between all on the boat with no cut for the boat. Gas money is enough.

Stixs,

I feel your pain bud. I have seen many money fish in my net......only to look at a customer that did not want to spend the doe on a derby ticket or to have one of the guys in the group forget to register!

I own the boat. There's only two us us usually and we haven't placed in the money yet. But if we do, it will be divided 3 ways. 1/3 me, my partner, & the boat. The boat's share will then be divided 3 ways. If we won $1000.00 it would break down to:

$518.52 for me

$481.48 for my partner

For $10,000. it would be:

$5185.18 for me

$4814.82 for my partner

I call it Musky's Method. Sounds fair to me. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I always payed for the gas and tackle and stuff and let others fight the fish. I even pay for the food and drink. We split even with the boat getting a share after taxes if applicable. Now I was actually able to land a cash fish as it was 12 noon and everyone was snoozing and the rod went off with no one around, OK auto pilot and went back and grabbed the rod and landed a steelhead worth $550. so everyone plus the boat got a share and we all had a great time and remain good friends. Been doing it this way for 10 yrs. Don't forget if you can't show me a legit derby ticket you don't get on the boat during the derbies.

"More On"