FallEye questions - chautauqua lake

ericmic1

Hoping someone can help educate me on fall walleyes. I have been doing decently the past cpl of weeks Working sticks after dark and at dawn in the shallows. My questions are how long can I expect this pattern to continue? Is there a water temp that will force them to retreat deeper? Is there a decent technique I cause during daytime (haven't gotta any during the day)?

Btw of the 7 keepers so far I have yet to find anything in their bellies to point to what they are feeding on, it's as if they haven't been eating anything. Which would make me think they would be even more active than I have seen.

I am fishing the south basin.

Thanks in advance and you Muskie guys seem to be doing awesome. I may have to invest in some tower gear and give that a whirl too!

Of all the walleyes I have caught in Chaut. over the years.......I still don't know what they eat. I NEVER find stuff in their stomach. Not sure if their metabolism is super high or if they just don't have to eat much. Your pattern should continue thru November. I have never been able to catch many walleyes during the day on Chaut. lake. The time I have caught them in the day was trolling the main deep holes in the northern section or as a front was coming in and the lake was whipped into whitecaps. Find yourself at the mouth of a incoming ditch or creek and toss stickbaits at night.....works spring AND fall. :yes:

There are too many perch since the Muskys were not stocked due to the VHS scare stuff. These perch gobble up everything but their growth rate is slow compared to Lake Erie. A 5 year old perch is 9 inches compared to 12 inches in Lake Erie. The "catch and release" guys and small fish throwbacks do not help. The biggest problem is the majority of us do not really know how to clean them or even cook them.

The Prendergast Hatchery has not missed stocking of muskies at Chautauqua due to VHS.They use an iodine treatment of the eggs to eliminate any presence of VHS.

Trolling for muskies in the deep flow of the north basin produced some big walleyes for us this year,they hit 9" muskie crankbaits,29 to 31 inchers.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png