Trip of a lifetime

The other night I received a call from a guy...he introduced himself as Captain Moe Neale of Alaskan Eider outfitters .he explained that I was the winner of a five day duck hunt from a raffle I entered 4 months ago.....at first I thought it was one of my idiot co workers busting my chops, but I soon realized that this offer was legit. The details of the hunt are I would be hunting King Eiders, Pacific Eiders, harlequins, Aleutian teal, and Scoters off St. Paul island in the Bearing sea.....the same place they film the Deadliest Catch crab fishing show on the discovery channel.....

I am thankful for this opportunity, and I am lucky to have such an understanding wife.......

Stay tuned for reports and photos.....

please send 5000.00 to home office in India to secure your free trip.............. :lol:

Couldnt happen to a better guy...well hmmmm......hey im small enuf for a carry on (fit inside),,,ill bet Paul had something to do with this ,I mean hey ya gonna get a few mounted,probly 200.00 each x 20 ducks ,sounds like my free hunting trips ya pay when ya get home....

Ray....you are exactly right....Booking My flights tonight....next is Alaska non resident licenses, as well as a hefty order from cabelas for severe cold weather gear....

Next is a trip to the gun shop to get My guns squared away....two months is going to fly buy.......

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Scotty.....that was totally unintentional. Lol......57 days and counting. All my airfare and hotel stays in anchorage are squared away.....

I think I'm actually going to try some expensive non toxic...anybody have any experience with heavy metal or heavy shot? If so what chokes do you use? Looking to be able to reach out as far as 50 yards with a decent pattern.....I normally wouldn't shoot past 35, but we are talking king eiders...lol.....

Scotty.....that was totally unintentional. Lol......57 days and counting. All my airfare and hotel stays in anchorage are squared away.....

I think I'm actually going to try some expensive non toxic...anybody have any experience with heavy metal or heavy shot? If so what chokes do you use? Looking to be able to reach out as far as 50 yards with a decent pattern.....I normally wouldn't shoot past 35, but we are talking king eiders...lol.....

I used to shoot Heavy Shot Matt---back when Remington had it. I loved it. However, when the company changed hands the shells did too---at least that's what I and a few friends thought. It doesn't seem to be as good as the old stuff.

The new super fast stuff from Remington has some good reviews but the recoil is ridiculous!

Congrats on winning the hunt and if you happen to take an extra king........ :inlove:

Or........perhaps you would like to invite your own personal taxidermist to advise you which birds would be best to mount before you pull the trigger. I could load your gun. Or wipe the ice from your eyelids. Or .......... :$

Paul.....All those bird up there are mounters LOl ....From what I hear the Harlequins are a dime a dozen.... Kings are around, its just being lucky to have them come into range. I'm not anticipating anything but having a good time and eating some fresh from the ocean opilio crab. If Im lucky enough to harvest some trophies...Bonus!

Paulie I will call you when I get back.....

Matt congrats on the trip... like I mentioned in my PM I'd have to think IF I was in your shoes get a different choke or two they make ALL guns shoot longer with better shot strings and thats what really matters.

Lund....just brought the widow maker (870 superman) to Beikirch's for a full tune up and cleaning. She was a little worn out and wouldn't eject 3.5 inch shells. I'm going to get a couple tubes and different ammo when I pick it up.....good pattern at 45 yards is my goal.....

I'm probably going to look at a mod or mid range tube...... Going out tomorrow for Scoters...trying the high velocity stuff......

Lund....just brought the widow maker (870 superman) to Beikirch's for a full tune up and cleaning. She was a little worn out and wouldn't eject 3.5 inch shells. I'm going to get a couple tubes and different ammo when I pick it up.....good pattern at 45 yards is my goal.....

I'm probably going to look at a mod or mid range tube...... Going out tomorrow for Scoters...trying the high velocity stuff......

Matt your gun is in the right hands with the boys at Beikirch's and if you start asking them about chokes the most important thing they will tell you is DON'T over choke steel you'll get the wrong results. Patternmaster and Comp n choke are both great aftermarket tubes that can really improve the affective range of any gun. That being said and I know you told me you think that triple BBB are too big but you know how hard it is to kill them flying tanks. It drops them hard and a clean head shot is all it takes with a BBB out to 50 +/- yrds. My trip to the Niagara produced a couple of 55 to 60 yard shots with stone dead birds. I know the length because the Outfitter had a 50 yard parachute cord off the back of the boat that he put the decoys on and we shot off the end of the decoy string.

Ray...your exactly right...the Mrs. And I just had that talk yesterday as a matter of fact. Bottom line I said was..." it's the freakin Bearing Sea....I have to have the best possible gear for safety reasons". So far that has worked :lol:

Lund....I will pick up some BBB and give her a whirl. I spoke with the outfitter and he told me to leave the expensive Eyetalian guns at home and bring the workhorse. Lots of freezing spray to play havoc on the actions.

53 days and counting....

Hey my friend , We only go around once, and you don't need to be told how short it is (life).. :lol:

SO TO ALL YOU GUYS AND GIRLS ,dONT SAY "SOMEDAY ILL DO THAT OR THIS OR ..ECT..."

DON'T BE FOOLISH IN THESE TIMES BUT """""DON'T '''''''''' PUT OFF THAT TRIP OF A LIFETIME,,,,,TILL SOMEDAY!!!!!!!

at 50 yrs old if yer lucky enuf to live till 70 you DON'T have 20 '''years'''' to hunt...

You only have 20 more first days...What will you do with those "last "20 days of your life?????