Hydrofracking...

tcon

When I come home to the quite county back dirt roads where I live it's about the same as what that showed but will slowly get better. The roads have all been tore up from the heavey traffic weights but they ( the well drillers) rebuilt them better than they were before.............the ditchs down here are DEEP but that's from the super heavey rains and NO up keep because they look for the well drillers to foot that bill also...............good and bad with all of this down here the noise of it all is what I hate the most !!!!!!! :@

Have you noticed only the bad stuff is published. Yes the traffic is bad and the roads get tore up, but when the gas companies fix the roads they end up being better than what the state would have done. You can't forget about the boon to the local economy, if you don't have a job here in northeast Pa it's because you don't want to or can't work. As you can see I'm all for it.

Scott

You keep fracking and we will keep fixing the roads. My company has been doing a lot of work fixing them. Suit Kote Corp ;) Ive spent some time in Pennsyltucky attending to them

Do you mean to say that you slurry sealed them and then called it "repair"? :P:P:P:P

we actually grind down 15 inches and it gets concrete put back in hte road

Most people in Brighton know your company for all the slurry sealing you do on our local roads and on the express ways. I was just trying to be funny.

I am glad that some NY companies are making some money of the gas bonanza before drilling has even started around our own state.

I bet he means, they raised the road, put in better ditches and blacktopped a previous dirt road. In the end made a far better road than was there.

I have not seen any dirt road paved around me yet, repaired better than it was before some time too well. Down here if there is no posted speed limit it 55MPH well 55 on these dirt roads is just way to fast..................again this is NOT the gas driller falt it the way the they state/townships are too cheap to post signs..............one more negative that will not go away only drop a level or two is the way the sky is lit up at night out here in no man land............a gas well is like a small town and you can see the lights from miles away !!!!!!.........but I say dig baby dig also !!!!!!!

I've resigned myself to the fact that fracking is inevitable. Where $$$ is involved, it doesn't matter what the truth is, unfortunately.

Please understand, I'm not bashing fracking, but I don't for a moment believe that it's as harmless as we're led to think by the gas companies. When there's money to be made, there's no risk, ever, to the environment...and it wouldn't matter what data you put in front of people, if they want to believe that it's safe, then by God it's safe!

I love pulling out my Dad's old magazines, and an interesting parallel exists in some articles from Outdoor Life in the 1960's where they debate whether DDT, Agent Orange etc. does any real environmental damage. Lots of folks, including sportsman, were coming down on both sides of the fence. I'd guess the same was true when they started strip mining in PA. I just hope that 50 years from now we aren't sitting on our golden thrones looking back and saying, "What the hell were we thinking?"

Personally, I don't have any answers, but I'm not sure that anyone else does either. The gas isn't going anywhere. When it runs out in one place, our gas will be that much more valuable. I'd like to see less rabid fervor and more careful consideration.

All I hear is the same old....blah blah......dollar sign, dollar sign.....blah blah blah.....

BULL HOKEY!! Sorry for those of us that live out in the country and don't own a couple hundred acres. The roads got tore up badly, and STILL, years later, are still trashed(want pics? I can post some from the front of my house). I own a little over 2 acres, never seen more than $50 dollars total from any gas company, for the EIGHT ACTIVE wells with in a mile from my property. Prosperity my a$$!!!! I also drive to work down 86 about the same time all these teenagers that the gas well company's have recruited straight out of high school, I drive 70 MPH....and I have welding rigs with all kinds of crap swinging off them passing me like I'm standing still, three rotten tooth, baseball hat wearing hicks, in the front seat drunk from the night before. Ask the police and the people that live down in the valley...teenage pregnancy's through the roof, friday night and saturday night the emergency rooms packed and police swamped......Yeah buddy! Drill baby drill......just stay the hell out of my neck of the woods thanks. Glad your gone and hope you never come back.

edit:

Also all the STATE LAND that is now inaccessible because the roads have been gated to protect these gas wells from "vandals"....what a joke.

/end rant...... :no:

I don’t want to get into a debate over this. I am pro- lets get the gas to market, but also want it done in as safe a manor as possible. There are always trade-offs in life and this is no different.

Here is an interesting method of fracking that is virtually unheard of, at least in my area anyway. Why it doesn't get more press is beyond me. Maybe someone here can shed a little more light on this method of fracking.

http://www.gasfrac.com/

....just edited this post to add a link that will show a comparison of the fracking processes....> http://www.gasfrac.com/gasfrac_comparison.aspx

alright roads traffic and money aside lets break it down to the basics there are taking chemicals that are toxic carcinigenic in some cases flamable and by no means edable and pumping them into the ground. Really you honestly think for a second that theres no possible risk? the smart way would be to wait there not gonna pass on new york forever right now theres lots of drill sites so the good areas are cheap as time goes on and other areas are mined out the value is gonna go way up and the longer it takes to start in NY the more will be known about bad side effects and the potential for safer methods goes up. Getting in to this this early is a bad idea i dare anyone who says drill baby drill to go to one of the resivours at the drill site than take a drink if you wont than how can you say that having that big pool of not safe not clean liquid isnt a problem

ifishy,

You've got the cart before the horse. The large ponds you see being built are fresh water, no flowback from well sites in those ponds. Also the well pads are lined so all material is confined to the site. People really need to give this industry a chance,

they are doing all they can to do a job as safely and as cheaply as possible. Just like any other business. What you read in the paper or hear on the news is only a portion of whats going on and nine times out of ten it's the bad side. As with anything, there are going to be mistakes made and with the scrutiny placed on this industry things are magnified. Not meant to pick on you, just a little more info.

Scott

I hope that you all remember what General Electric did to the Hudson Valley. They got great tax breaks to move in then they poisoned the valley and the river with cancerous chemicals. People in the valley have a lot more cancer than most other people in the country and the entire river needs to be dragged to remove the poisons. After thirty years of poisoning the valley, General Electric moved out and abandoned the area.It was only through extended court action that they started paying up for some of their actions.

I see no reason why the gas drilling companies would be any different. They will do whatever they can get away with.

Sure it burns "clean" (er). Sure it adds jobs which we need very much these days. As someone who lived in Colorado, it sure has messed up the groundwater, local wells that can be lit with a match, major sludge pits and who knows what the impact will be 10, 20,100 years from now. Is it true that this procedure has been exempted from many USEPA standards? If this practice is allowed to continue in and around ground water sources that supply major population centers no one knows what the future holds. Check it out for yourself and then decide if this is something you want to support or not.

This will never happen in New York because all the slow moving obstructionist we have here will delay things till the price of gas is so low it will not be profitable any more. Sorry, but that is the way it is here where we have too many government employees. West Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio will end up with the drilling jobs and profits. Drive down 104 and count the closed down businesses and empty houses. Next year there will be more.

split shot,

part of the point I am trying to make is this is being done elsewhare lets let those sites serve as the test sites and only after theyve been proven long term safe and that means more than a couple years if they pass that test than lets visit opening up more ground and you say those are fresh water pools with no leakage into it? my challange stands go get a drink from one. water supplys have been destroyed by this process and there will be worse effects down the line this is not someting to get in on the ground floor on. Gill-T is also right the gas will be there but the value of it will go up tremendously as time goes on the time is to early this is a bad band wagon to be on.

What more do folks need other than Ft Lupton Colorado? Check it out......... One aquifer/water shed they are looking at provides NYC water. Mess that up and the whole USA is in a bind. If they figure out that replacing rusty drilling pipes is better than a host of chemicals in the frac water then maybe folks will get behind the process more readily. And....why did Cheney exempt the process from most EPA Clean Water regs???