Cannon Magnum 10A questions.

I just bought a used Grady White Tournament 190 last week. The boat has two Cannon Magnum 10A Electric Riggers 4 foot booms mounted on swivel bases and Gimbal mounts. I have no owners manual. All my previous downriggers were manual up/down. The boat is in storage now so I can't really play with it. The riggers do have a ball retrieve cord and I can see how that works.They do have the three position toggle switch. Question is in the auto up position are these equipped with the ion system that stops the retrieve when the cable gets out of the water? Thanks in advance

You have combined two features of Cannon into one. Auto-stop: stops ball at surface automatically and Positive Ion Control: regulates the electrical charge of the downrigger cable.

Auto-stop uses a non-metalic insulator between the cable end and the downrigger ball snap to tell the motor when the ball breakes the surface. Check what's at the end of the cable for a clue.

PIC (positive ion control) uses a rotating knob near the up/down switch to adjust the electrical charge on the cable. If this knob is not there, the rigger is probably older than the PIC system and the rigger doesn't have it.

You have combined two features of Cannon into one. Auto-stop: stops ball at surface automatically and Positive Ion Control: regulates the electrical charge of the downrigger cable.

Auto-stop uses a non-metalic insulator between the cable end and the downrigger ball snap to tell the motor when the ball breakes the surface. Check what's at the end of the cable for a clue.

PIC (positive ion control) uses a rotating knob near the up/down switch to adjust the electrical charge on the cable. If this knob is not there, the rigger is probably older than the PIC system and the rigger doesn't have it.

I do see the knob near the up down toggle. Thanks, I now know what that is about. Would this feature be used for a speed/temp sensor at the ball? BTW I did not get the cannon balls with the deal and perhaps that is why. OK the pic below shows the end of the cable. There is a Roemer slider release. I have used sliders before but not Roemers. Don't know much about those. I do have what appears to be the non metalic black insulator. Thanks for your quick reply.

Grady032.jpg

I posted earlier today guess it didn't take..........anyway I have older Cannons and just rewired two so they have a short-stop system. If you take the cover off the motor and look inside the switch for up/down will either have four wires or three. The three is short stop also you will see a ciruit board this is what makes the short stop work...........when down rigger wire comes out of the water the down rigger will stop because the ciruit is broke ......the down rigger wire also has to be in contact with the steel shalft that goes thru the spool...............hope this helps you some.............

After doing more looking around on the net it seems I have the 3 position up/down switch but the other item close to the switch must be a circuit breaker reset. So going forward I believe I do not have the PIC function or the short stop system.

downrigger002.jpg

downrigger001.jpg

I was going to say that if they are in fact Mag 10A's those would have been pre shortstop and PIC. I had a pair of the old mag 10A's. They work fine and quite honestly, are so slow that you don't really need the shortstop feature. The one's I had were 80's vintage and they pulled 12 lb cannonballs up just fine.

Tim