45cal. BP load.

W.W.IV.

OK guys, my son just put a 45cal CVA Kodak inline with a 3to7 scope in my hands. Does one of you shoot a 45cal and can recommend a good load for out to 150yds. I don't like sabitts, I can't get a second round down the barrel with out driving the rod into a tree to seat the round. A wounded deer won't wait for you to clean the barrel.

:*:* Thanks Ray,I've been using a inch long firecracker slide down the barrel,fuse through the nipple hole and a 3\4oz split shot.I drove over to the local park to sight in, taped the target to the side of the truck and backed off 150yds and didn't even hit the truck, maybe I'm shooting hight,thanks again for the help. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: .

Skipper, I've got Barn's Expander MZ .400"195gr MZ FB sabots, and PowerBelt Platinum areotips 223gr. My son shot the power belts but couldn't get a good group with 150grs of powder.I don't think it needs 150gr. of powder. I shot powerbelts out of my TC Renagade, they shoot good out to 100yds with 100grs. of tripple 7 and 230gr, PB. No scope on the 50cal. I miss a lot without a scope.

Power belts....SUCK!....easy to load, but then again, if its too easy it's loose in the barrel and therefore inaccurate. No you don't need 150 grains of powder specially in a .45 but hornady has a great sabot and accuracy is very good, however I'm not fond of the SST polymer plastic tip bullet for It's terminal performance. Not enough upset in many cases and leads to a long tracking of a deer that is hit well. I'm now using bullets that are open tip, but I'm still searching for the ballance of accuracy and efficiency on the impact.

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

• 1 month later...

Here is a buck 1.5 year old I took Monday after gun opened with my CVA .45 Kodiak magnum.

200 grain SST Hornady with the co-polymer tip. The sabot smashed through both shoulders at 75yards, lucky I was sitting and had steady crosshairs.

I hate the powerbelts!! toss them in the trash :DI wasted 3 years screwing around with the power belts was never happy, groups all over the place. The Hornady sabots changed everything!! I was dying to get out this season and shoot a deer with the .45.

This sabot gets a much tighter seal to the 777 pellets , I shoot 125 grains and get 3-4inch groups at 100 yards

mailchris4pt.jpg

1121110805.jpg

Trouthunter,

I've been shooting the power belts through my 50cal.TC Renegade with iron sights and got 3-4" groups at 100yds. I'm going to try the belts through the 45cal. and the Hornady Sabots with 100grians of 333seven and see what happens. Nice eating deer :yes: .

I also shoot a 45. from cva and 225gr. power belts shoot pretty darn good for me! Only 100 gr. of powder thuo i tried 150gr. but that combination just had horrible results. I took a nice 8 pointer with it this season at 85 yards and absolutely pile drived straight into the ground with zero movement once it hit the ground! Got to love the smoke poles , Good luck

-Jakey Baby-

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Try using a smaller sized bullet. I shoot a .45 cal with 100 grains and powerbelt 195 grains. Shoots like a 30/06 at 100 yards. 3 inch groups Most shots in NJ are well under 100 yds so having mag charges and super sized bullets is unnecessary for whitetails. Good luck!

Bob

• 4 weeks later...

A few suggestions that will help, try the barns sabot that is made to seat easy you will have to go to there web site and look up there name. The get some blackhorn 209 powder start with 90 grains or less. You may not even need to try more. Once you try that powder you will never use any thing else, especially when you can clean your gun with 3 patches soaked in plain gun cleaner. If you do your part 1 hole groups at 100 yards is easy.. Generally a heavy bullet shoots better but that's not a hard fast rule.