5 Minutes in the Stand .... BBD

Lund SSS

No joke I wasn't in the stand long enough to range a couple of my shooting lanes and I look to my left and who's walking right into the lane behind me... this joker, 22 yards and I put the RAGE in the CAGE... heart shot went 35 yards.DSC02172.jpgDSC02171.jpg

Yes Sir right out the back door :lol: no really I did climb in the stand and just like I said didn't even put away the range finder and he's standing right under me and getting ready to walk behind me a quick look and size him up grab my bow off the hook and let him have it with a grunt to stop and tap all over he never knew what hit him

I can't compete with the neighbors orchard... funny thing is he's was at the front door when I was getting the tractor and starts telling me about the big 8 standing behind the barn while he's putting away his tractor.... my response are you sure it wasn't a 9. Why ? because I just smoked a good 9 about 15 minutes ago.

How'd you guys do tonight ???

Sweet success ...good for you....I had a simular exp. yrs ago got the portable set put on the strap(before harnesses were heard of) pulled the bow up nocked a arrow did one last scan before setteling in and like majic a nice 8 pt was crunching acorns at 10 yds never heard it never saw it, getting ready for the hunt.drew back and it was over in the same amount of time as you. Well except the heart part he walked 100 ft stood there and tipped..Only thing i can think is he thought i was a squirrel playing with my nuts and never looked up.. :o ....during the 2 min walk and waiting for him to drop a beauty of a 10 pt comes in 20 yds and starts to make a scrape...........the one time in my life i wished i had a clean miss...

Some times when new guys read a story like these they think it happens often..well it dont and in 40 pluss YEARS of hunting ive only had the experiance a few times (gun and bow)..

I always start the hunt at the quiet close of the car door,no talkin no agressive walking and totally in the hunt scan ,Ive spotted many a deer well before the stand area ,and have filled my tag more than once enroute..it can happen (deer encounter) at any time any place..so be ready 100% of the time yup 100% I could tell ya some um er well ya know after the long walk ya gotta go some where ....yes even when ya got yer guard ((and pants) down it can happen tho I ant never shot one off the crouch ive seen a few snickering at me.......STUPID DEER!!

Nice deer Steve. What you gonna do with the rest of your time now?

CAST AND BLAST BABY !!! hell I still got tags to fill and if the boy don't get in the stand I'm just going to have him sign them over :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for all the congrats, the deer are running hard right now and yes I've got nothing but time on my hands

That rage made a nice hole. Beautifull buck Steve. Congrats.

I swear by them Jim, in 25 years of bow hunting I'd say they are the best improvement in technology as far as design for blood loss. That animal was running dead within 2 or 3 seconds of impact, it EXPLODED with a trail STEVIE WONDER could have walked with RAY CHARLES right next too him :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks again it's nice to have time on my hands minus Dr's and PT and Attorneys

• 2 weeks later...
Well Steve, I apologize about the rage comments. It seems that a bad hit is a bad hit. I lost a doe two days ago with the slick tricks. Thought I hit her good too - only at about 15 yds. She walked into a swamp about 100yds away and that was it. ;(

Don't apologize about it Jim. I have shot a few deer and never had issues with penetration, the 2 blades are nuts but I prefer the 3 blade. The doe I shot this year broke thru the shoulder and ran the length of the body. The tip section was sticking out the back hind leg. The blades cut across the femur. A quartering to me shot ( ya not the best angle ) but she wasn't getting away from me ... 2 years running.

• 2 weeks later...

My hunting buddy somehow managed a pass-through with a two blade Rage without dropping his deer. It was a six point at 35 yards and he thinks he hit it high. The arrow was covered in a thick, waxy coat with flecks of blood and bits of hair.

Best guess - he sent the arrow through the top inch of two of it's back, missing the spine and passing through the thick layer of lard it's been adding on for winter.

My hunting buddy somehow managed a pass-through with a two blade Rage without dropping his deer. It was a six point at 35 yards and he thinks he hit it high. The arrow was covered in a thick, waxy coat with flecks of blood and bits of hair.

Best guess - he sent the arrow through the top inch of two of it's back, missing the spine and passing through the thick layer of lard it's been adding on for winter.

About 3 or 4 years ago I shot a BIG 10 pt. and hit him "high" by that I'm saying thru the void that exists below the spine and above the vitals. It's about 3" to 4" at most and thats right where I put it, the rage hit the opposite lung but that is not enough to kill a deer. Good blood for about 250 or 300 yards then NOTHING found blood over a half mile from where I shot it but he went into a big swamp and that was it :no::no::no:

About 3 or 4 years ago I shot a BIG 10 pt. and hit him "high" by that I'm saying thru the void that exists below the spine and above the vitals. It's about 3" to 4" at most and thats right where I put it, the rage hit the opposite lung but that is not enough to kill a deer. Good blood for about 250 or 300 yards then NOTHING found blood over a half mile from where I shot it but he went into a big swamp and that was it :no::no::no:

There is no "void" between the lungs and the spine. The lungs go all the way to the bottom of the spine. The myth that a "dead zone" exists between the lungs and spine is just that---a myth that has been handed down for years. Its been proven false over and over again.

I guess I've got to to eat my words ??? if there's no void then I didn't hit the buck at 12 yards below the spine and hit vitals ... I think I'm a pretty good shot and have harvested far more deer with my bow than a gun. Maybe I only got 1 lung because of the angle was clean quartering away and clean pass thru shot .... Oh well lesson learned that for clearing up a myth Paul.

He who doesn't learn SOMETHING each day they walk this earth is................ DEAD