What are people seeing for rutting activity, so far

T_barb

We have seen anumber of young bucks (spike, 4's, small sixes) chasing does and responding to grunt calls...

We have seen a few good bucks outside of shooting range, but have been right at dark or just going point a to point b (..not interested in grunting yet)..

Tried some rattling this weekend with no success. I usually have good success with rattling and halloween weekend last year, I rattled in a number of bucks including a nice mature 8pt.....

i have seen more scapres and rubs then I ever have in the 5 years that I have owned my property.. Anywere there is a branch hanging over the edge of a field there is a scrape.

Just curious to see what others are seeing..

I know that things will heat up in the next week or so and the switch will get flipped...

I'll second what you have observed. Been about the same for us in Wyoming County with the exception of some bigger buck chasing activity. We've seen a couple quick chases and some trail cam shots that indicate larger bucks getting interested in does. Scrapes are everywhere, but number of rubs are down. I'm hoping the warm weather forecasted this week doesn't slow things down.

Shawn

Nothing really to report yet. Alot of deer sightings in the 1st full week and the second week of archery season always lags in comparison. Alot of scrapes are showing up and every trip in the woods there seems to be more and more. I have witnessed zero chasing but every doe i have seen in the past 5-6 days seems to be on edge and far from relaxed. A couple more days and the woods will be a different place.

I tagged out last night so that being said yes they are on there feet and defiantly in the "chase" phase in Monroe county. The old man has seen 5 or 6 different bucks in the last 2 days and he said their following his drag lines as he walks in. Unfortunately for him he's had "bow malfunctions" on the last 2 releases missing an 8 pt. and a 10 pt. He lives about 15 min. to the east in Macedon, his comment to me was just about every tree on the ridge line and every tree on the logging road are shredded. There also a lot of scrapes in the woods.

Hope this what you want to hear, I'd spend every minute you can in the woods for the next 7-10 days. I know I will be :yes::yes::yes:

My friend owns a body shop the adjuster was in today and wrote up 25 deer hits in the corning area yesterday!!!! the count is 6 dead bucks between elmira and corning (20 miles one way) these are just the ones left near the road i see...at 10 this morning a car with the front smashed was stopped and the driver was picking pieces of his car so im guessing he just bumped :lol: another ,,,,..... two of the roadkills were missing heads :o .they probly couldnt see where they were going.....prerut and terrotory claims are being set around here........

Was hunting hamlin today, had a small doe come in with a 5 point chasing her. they were around my stand for about a half hour until the 5 point gave me a shot. its my 2nd year hunting, 1st year bow hunting. i got a doe earlier in the season but i got alittle to excited tonight, rushed the shot and missed haha. im learning from my mistakes. next time when the big guy comes in, he will be in the freezer

Last night November 1st we saw 3 bucks 2 were shooters the one shooter was up and bumbing does at 420 pm pretty early consudering it was pretty warm out, I passed on a very nice 2 yr old buck because I realy want to shoot a mature 3 your old or better this year. So I took off from work to hunt this morning and i saw deer from 7am till I had to leave at 930am and it killed me to put that arrow back on the quiver!! I saw at least 6 different bucks and one nice 8 point (3yr old)i would have shot it if he would have cooperated he was at 20 yards but would not put himself in a shooting lane (frustrating) but the last 2 days were very exciting for us and Iam positive it is only going to get better.

Gene

Killed an older heavy 7 on Sat am-no swelling at all. Have seen a few other 2 1/2s sniffing beds and checking scrapes but no chasing,etc. I would think that the bucks, and consequently the does too, will begin to become considerably less predictable by the end of the weekend and especially into next week,so if you are looking to try and take advantage of a traffic pattern to arrow one you should do so sooner rather than later! -Andy

Quote Legacy (Rob);

I have witnessed zero chasing but every doe i have seen in the past 5-6 days seems to be on edge and far from relaxed

P.S. Yo Rob, all mature does are on edge almost all the time - ask your wife about this after you have had a few kids. It's most of what keeps a species going ;)

I saw Nada last nite while out in Gaines, but I think that's because Keith had all the deer in the woods around him...must have been a breeding nucleus, with a couple small bucks, one big buck, a few does and probably one of them hot. Lots of running around but no shot on the shooter.

Gator

I finally got out at red creek/sodus area last eve. I watched a nice 7pt. for 20 min rubbing branches and placing scent everywhere. He was only 18 yds. away but in heavy brush. The doe estrus, I had out had no effect on him and when he walked off, I could not call him in with either the grunt or the bleat. A little later when walking back, I came across two does in the food plot. They were calmly eating and were not even disturbed by me. I kind of figure, they are not quite ready in this area yet.

We have been seeing a lot of seeking activity around the house and on the farm accross the road. Quite a few immature bucks out sniffing around in the middle of the day the last couple weekends. Lots of scrapes still being visited, new ones showing up all the time, as well as rubbing. One thing we've noticed from trail cam pics, and bucks we are seeing while in the stand is that over half the bucks have already busted up their antlers. I've even seen 3 immature bucks with tines broke off, and the we saw one mature (3-1/2 Y/O) buck chasing last weekend that had his entire left side broke off just above the brow-tine. That has been the first of the chasing we've seen. I imagine there will be more this weekend.

Saturday Morning will be cold, and should be good hunting. It's on like Donkey Gong!

ahh same deer small 4 pt and 6 pt then a big spike yup BIG body 2plus yrs ..really cool rack maybe 12 in long think horns and layed the contour of his head and stuck up between his ears sorta looked like something from Africa ..had to be 175 to 200 lb deer, he was coming straight to me when a doe stuck her head out 60yds behind him he cought a wiff of her turned and went straight away.. all bucks showed their faces from 930 to 1030,doe too.

The big boy is still running in the dark tho he might slip up soon . But I will take that spike outa the heard if i get a chance first.plenty of meat for jerky,not that I dont want another big rack ,but those really goofy ones are pretty cool, ill guess his ears are at least 17 to 18 inches tip to tip.hopeI can get him youll think its pretty cool...

Out all day yesterday and saw/heard no rutting activity whatsoever on our property near Albion. I was quite surprised, as my wife said there was a hot doe near Mendon Ponds Park that was driving a couple bucks wacky. Another buddy who's an avid bowhunter has been out three times straight without seeing a deer late this week. Maybe the warm shut them down for a day or two? If so, I have great expectations for this morning, as the thermopop shows 24F outside my window. Good luck to all!

So much for great expectations...three guys, great property over in Gaines near Oak Orchard, no deer. One of the guys says he heard a buck on a doe "somewhere to the East". I guess you've got to see deer first to figure out if they're rutting. This season has overall been the worst I've seen in terms of deer sightings. Not sure what's up. I may have to take a day to duck hunt tomorrow and get my head back in the game.

Not a lot of rutting activity here in 9N this weekend. Seems to be a week and a half late this year. Bucks still workin scrapes, rubbing trees, with small bucks chasin each other around. Mid afternoon to dark has seen most activity. The standing corn is taking a beating.

Shawn

in steubem were getting alot of deer movement i called in a nice mature 8 and missed him at 25 yards (practically unheard of by me) but im also very sick this year with pinched nerves in neck and headaches i mean i shot a doe at 61 yards perfect and miss at 25 comon but i grunted him in