Halloween Massacre (Pics)

Two hour hunt out on Ontario...Lots of Sea ducks around. Big flocks of Oldsquaws....Most of the Scoter flocks we decoyed were White wings....However an extremely rare Surf Scoter came into a HOT L.Z.....What a great two hours on the lake...... Just gets me even more fired up for the Alaska trip.....Lead em far boys!

Scoters1031001.jpg

Scoters1031002.jpg

Scoters1031003.jpg

Scoters1031004.jpg

OK your out of Sandy but what I can't help but ask is ... Matt are you eating those things or are they coyote bait because the last white wings in our boat were sworn to be the last cause we couldn't handle the smell. The Surf scooter is a sweet looking bird. If your ever looking for an additional gun please look me up love to see how your bring in these SEA BIRDS.

yea man.....Just picked up that rig this year. I have extra gas tanks so I can venture far from port...The boat is a starcraft superfisherman. Nice and deep. She will take any waves I'm willing to hunt in. The Blind was custom made. The color seems to be working. Not that Scoters are a true test( they are pretty dumb birds). The true test will be Bills and redheads later this year.....The birds offshore never expect anything when they fly into the Dekes. I position the boat about 30 yards from my strings. I have enough boat and decoy line available to hunt in 200 ft if need be.

The majority of the shots are 30 yards....Some passing over the decoys, Some feet down....It really depends on how many are in the group. 5 or less scoters will lock in and land with the blocks, over 5 and they usually just bank over the dekes and you wack em as they fly by the boat at 20 yrds. The birds today, totally flew circles around the boat to get at the blocks.....It also helps to have oversize dekes....I made my own that are twice the size of goose floaters...Really draws them in nice......Shoot straight man.....Hope this helps.

Matt, one time I was hunting a inland lake with my dad years ago, and a flock of about 15 black scotors flew into the lake. There were three groups of hunters in three blinds on the water. The birds proceeded to fly from blind to blind to blind. each pass the flock lost a couple or three birds. Within ten minutes the flock was gone. all birds dead. As you said, talk about stupid!!