be safe out there

tommorrow is put on your life jacket day. they should change the date to october 1st. i've been a bit smarter about my own safety since i got old. i keep a trash bag in my boat with a change of clothes in it. i have a newer boat with an emergency ladder on the transom. if you don't have that how will you get back in your boat if you fall in? have a plan. we all have cell phones now but they won't work if it's in your pocket when you fall in. keep it in the glove box. never leave the helm until you put the motor in nuetral. you go over at 3mph and you ain't catchin the boat. a 150 lb guy like me weighs 300 lbs dressed in wet cold weather clothes. best advice is not fish alone in the cold like i do.

Thanks for the info and advice. I wear s flotation device when the boat is running and since I bought inflatable vests I have it on all the time I am in the boat, take it off when I get back to shore. I use my boat all winter in the lower Niagara River and have a cold water survival flotation suit that I wear, it keeps me warm all day and in the event of an emergency I am prepared.

Some really great advice! I do a lot of solo cold weather fishing on the Susky in my 14 footer and some of the things I see down there amaze me. I've pulled guys out of the water twice down there after they flipped or swamped their boats. Both times I was the only other boat around! One piece of advice I would add.. to those in the little 12-14 footers.. keep your butt on the seat.. Don't stand up in them! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

good advice guy's...i would also like to add ... when you're in the boat ,never lace up your boots , especially winter boots all the way up,never more than half way and tie them loosely, so you can kick them off quickly if you fall in. be safe...choo-choo steve