New motor

bobpugh

In the spring I will be buying a brand new motor for my boat. I'm set on a 115 HP outboard. My questions are should I go with a 2 stroke or 4 stroke? Also, it had a mercury on it before and I was leaning that way(maybe easier) but what manufacturer do you suggest? Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Bob Pugh

take into consideration the weight difference between the 2 and 4 stroke motors and how your boat sits with its current engine...some boats arent a good fit with a heavier 4 stroke...there are 2 strokes that deliver much better fuel economy than previous with the benefits of less moving parts and fewer problems with ethanol fuel...

do your homework...

i would post your curretn boat/motor settup so anyone with a similar combination or variants can comment on their own pros/cons...

I bought a new Nissan Marine 115HP a few years ago and I love it. It sips gas compared to any outboards I've ever had. It has some nice features. It's a 2-stoke with low pressure fuel injection. The oil reservoir is on the engine under the cover with an access through the top incase you need to add oil on the water. It trolls nice and has plenty of power. It also has a feature that when you push in on the key it changes rpm's. There are three different rpms that you can change to by just pushing the key. When I got mine they were a couple thousand less than most other outboards plus I got a good deal on a hold-over. Tohatsu and Nissan are both the same. Anyway, thats my two cents worth. I don't know if there are any dealers around that area. I live in Maine and got mine at a dealer near the coast. Lots of lobstermen use them up here. I have a friend in NY who uses the smaller ones on his duck boats, so there must be a dealer around there. I can ask him if you want.

If you are planning on using this motor for trolling you will be wise to consider a four stroke.

Trolling doesn't bother a big four stroke in the least, great fuel economy, quiet ,quiet, quiet and no 2 stroke fumes.

Did I mention they are quiet ?

Good luck with your purchase.

Glen

Had a 225hp 2 stroke. That blew up this summer. Don't ask me for

a recommendation for Evinrude :((

Repowered with the Yamaha 4 stroke, love that so far.

Pro's--- very quiet and no fumes!! Con, I think I do sit a bit lower in the

water.

Guys at the marina figured that I'll spend less in oil and filters than I had to

for plugs and oil in the 2 stroke.

John

My setup was a 115 HP Mariner and it finally blew up this summer! After 19 yrs it's done! It looks like the new four strokes are what people are leaning to. Does anyone have a Mercury 4 stroke they like? Does the ethanol fuel mess up the 4stroke? Never had a problem with fuel with the 2 stroke. Appreciate the feedback as before. Thanks again!

Bob

Another vote for 4-stroke !

No matter what motor you buy I would highly recommend you use a stabilizer and a cleaner with every tank of gas . I would also make sure you have a inline water separator filter installed as well. It is cheap insurance considering the cost of a new motor or repairs. The gas we use today is not very marine friendly .

Good Luck ! JT

The fuel efficient fuel injected engines seem to have a lot of problems when your gasoline goes bad and sometimes need replacement of pumps and injectors. The old carburators will be drained and are good to go. The financial savings may be fraudulent with fuel injection.