Sea Ducks, How do you hunt them?

Grifter

I saw some of the posts on here last week or the week before with nice bags of scoter and oldsquaw. I have pretty good success going out into the lake after my morning hunt on shore with a dozen oldsquaw decoys on a long line behind the boat. I've never ventured deeper than 40 fow.

Do you go out first thing in the morning?

If so, How do you know where to go? do you scout the day before?

Do you end up in 200 fow or deeper on some days?

Do you anchor your boat and decoys?

Maybe Matt (Misdemeanor) will post his techniques but we hunt the mouth of the Niagara and, often out to the red can and beyond. We have found that mud lines are critical bird flyways. That said, we will be hunting wherever the mudline is---20 fow or 250 fow. We typically run 18 oldsquaw and scoter decoys on a long line behind the boat with about 30 feet to the first decoy and 90 feet to the last. They are towed behind the boat and not anchored. Drifting along the Niagara mudline produces some of the most exciting sea duck shooting you'll ever see.

Grifter...the key is watching the flight line....one you located the line they like then the work starts.

I anchor two lines of scoters and one line of squaws. I have found that squaws are pretty species specific. I usually put the scoters on one side and squaws on the other. I like to try to anchor the boat 30 yrds from farthest decoy.

Don't forget a black flag to get their attention

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png