augers

Richard

OK guys. My mother is thinking of getting an ice augerfor my father for Christmas. Though he is in decent shape right now (65 years old), but had a bypass a couple of years ago. We are looking for the most dependable brand name keeping the lighter weight as a close second in the decision. I gave her a rough price range of three to four hundred though this would not be a deciding factor in her decision. Please let me know your likes and dislikes on all brands to help her.

Richard

If I was going for a new gas model, the new Strikemaster lite with the 4 stroke http://www.basspro.com/StrikeMaster-Str ... 7337/73518 would be it. Not cheap $549.95 but only 23 lbs. Picked one off the rack at Bass Pro and almost hit myself in the nose with it after hoisting my old jiffy around for the last 20 years. Yeah jiffy is good but bring a separate sled for it.

It depends a little on how thick the ice is too. 5 or 6 inches is where a good hand auger would compete with a power auger as well. Once ice is 10 inches or more the power auger starts to become quicker and easier too reach liquid. I suspect he probably already has a manual auger though.

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I have a Strikemaster Lite 4-stroke, and except for a transmission problem that was quickly repaired by Strikemaster under warranty I love it. I too am up in years, and the weight was a big factor, but not smelling stinky 2-stroke fumes is probably the best thing about it. It has a quiet, reliable, easy to start Subaru motor. The only thing that I would do (and am planning on doing) is I would replace the lazer auger with a chipper auger that Strikemaster sells thru their website, as the lazer auger is really agressive and has a tendency to grab when breaking thru the bottom.

Gambler...you are gonna love it!!!!!My partner icedd got the jiffy propane last year....incredible...reliable... fast...no messy, smelly gas...no2cycle exhaust fumes...no choke, starts 1 pull everytime,in all weather conditions we ran into !!!It got to the point that I would not even bother taking my strikemaster 2 cycle off my atv , I would just grab Daves (icedd) propane Jiffy,drill my holes...and his too!! I can't remember exactly,but the amount of holes you can drill with one little 2.99$ propane cylinder was unbelievable. Richard,and everyone...I highly recomment it. Propane is definately the fuel for my next auger...................steve

Bosco - That's fantastic!! Do you have to take them somewhere to be filled or use a larger tank or ?? We're looking at upgrading to the propane unit too! 8)

You can hook the adapter to your own 20lb cylander to fill the 1 lb cans. Just follow the directions carefully and you will have no problems.

Brian,

I'm looking forward to seeing that beast in action. I've bought new Strikemaster AND Jiffy gas augers in the past couple of years (Steve repaired the Jiffy and is currently using it with the chipper blade), but I hate the weight. The gas doesn't bother me so much. It's great to see the new toys first hand, though. Got to get below 60F to make ice...

Hmmm I gotta see that bad boy too, I love my eskimo but may need to reconsider if I can get rid of the gas smell

We can meet up on Conesus one day this winter (if it ever gets cold) and I will let you take it for a test drive.