Captain's License thoughts

Misty IV

At Thanksgiving dinner with the family last night, dad & I got talking about the season on the lake this year and how things went. While talking, he asked if I had ever considered getting a Captain's license. While the thought has crossed my mind in the past, I never gave it much consideration until last night. I saw an ad in one of my fishing magazines for the OUPV course offered by a well-known school. They have a class coming to Rochester in March I was looking at online last night. Would give me an excuse to drive up to the lake for a week and stay at the house...LOL.

For those captains on here, what/whose course did you take to get your license and would you recommend them or not? I'm open to any chat about this. I'm kinda at a point in my life where I may need to take another direction career-wise, as I can't go any higher up where I currently am. Just kinda feeling the waters right now and looking for input. Thanks!

I went with US Captains training and couldn't have been happier. It was a 10 day (I think) straight class. I didn't want to give up so many weekends for some of the other schools. Neil really know's his the material and can get it through so you remember it and understand it.

I think whichever school you go with, you will be happy.

I went with US Captains training and couldn't have been happier. It was a 10 day (I think) straight class. I didn't want to give up so many weekends for some of the other schools. Neil really know's his the material and can get it through so you remember it and understand it.

US Captain's Training is the one I saw advertised in my magazine. Definitely alot of the classes available out there. Aside from the added weight qualification, what additional does the Masters 100 Ton give over the OUPV? Seems like the small added cost and additional classroom dates is worth it from what I have read so far.

US Captain's Training is the one I saw advertised in my magazine. Definitely alot of the classes available out there. Aside from the added weight qualification, what additional does the Masters 100 Ton give over the OUPV? Seems like the small added cost and additional classroom dates is worth it from what I have read so far.

Depending on the qualifications you may not get the 100 ton masters. If most of your experience is on a smaller lake ontario boat then most likely you will get a 25 ton masters license. For the added 200 bucks and 2 days of class why wouldnt you upgrade to the masters. Also, double the cost of the class by the time its threw. By the time you pay for the cpr class, your doctors physical and eye exam, your masters upgrade, your drug test and twic card, etc and driving all over for class, test in a different spot, twic in buffalo and your doctors the 695 dollar class turns into 1500 quite quickly. Not trying to scare ya, but its better to no what to expect then to find out as you go

Depending on the qualifications you may not get the 100 ton masters. If most of your experience is on a smaller lake ontario boat then most likely you will get a 25 ton masters license. For the added 200 bucks and 2 days of class why wouldnt you upgrade to the masters. Also, double the cost of the class by the time its threw. By the time you pay for the cpr class, your doctors physical and eye exam, your masters upgrade, your drug test and twic card, etc and driving all over for class, test in a different spot, twic in buffalo and your doctors the 695 dollar class turns into 1500 quite quickly. Not trying to scare ya, but its better to no what to expect then to find out as you go

Thanks for the additional information. Majority of my experience is on Lake Ontario with my Islander 221 and my old center console. I have had plenty of experience with my grandfather's 42' Pacemaker in years gone by, too, and have spent many years on the Chesapeake Bay. I run with a volunteer fire company and get my CPR recertified yearly and get a full physical annually. I have full documentation of all that. I reside in southeastern PA just west of Philadelphia, and it seems the closest class from any provider is in Rochester. I'm not scared to drive there for the class. Our lakehouse is in the Pulaski area, so would stay there for the week and drive to Rochester. Don't worry about scaring me - takes alot to do that. I'm just feeling the waters right now and getting a feel if this is something I should really consider given where my interests on the lake are. I have had friends say I should do it, with as much time I spend up north and on the water with friends. But, again, thanks for the replies so far & keep them coming!!