need advice on kicker motor size

david

I think the 9.9 might work, but the 15 definately will. Recommend a long shaft/high thrust configuration. The 9.9 Honda I have on my 18' Lund with deep V hull is sufficient for my boat, but think it might be a little under-powered for your larger boat. And if you can afford it, get power trim.

For what it is worth I have used a 9.9 Mariner 4-stroke on a 23 Grady White Gulfstream, the wide body(over 9 ft wide) and it has pushed that boat all over Lake Erie in all kinds of wave action-never have had to start the big motor to assist-so I 9.9 HT should work fine.

Dave yamaha 9.9 ht pushes my 23 Larson no problem even in the strongest wind. I installed the troll master pro to dial her in and ray marine auto pilot. If you need any assistance Kevin Jerge who is a phenomenal electronics guy from the Wilson boat yard is living down here in vestal for the winter. He would be the guy to talk to. Call me if you need anything.

If you can I would buy the motor with electric start , tilt and remote controls . It's great being able do everything from the helm and charge your battery while trolling . I solo fish a lot and it's nice to start , stop, raise and lower the motor while never leaving the seat or having to hang off the back of the boat in bad weather . A big plus too when your fighting a fish to be able to control steering and speed form the helm.

Good Luck !

• 2 weeks later...

Let me ask guys . I am also looking tto buy a T9.9 with power trim for my 21' walkaround.

When I look at the yamaha specs it states that there is a "remote control" feature as an option. Any idea whatthat is for.

I plan on installing a Trroll Master Pro2 and maybe the Sea Star kicker hydraulic steer cable on the kicker.

I would like to invest in an auto pilot down the road but still want to steer it from the wheel and have the autopilot control the main motor.

Any body see anything wrong with this set up.......ps, this is all new to me.

Thank you

Marty