Western Lake Trout wars

To all the LOUers out there Happy Thanksgiving! Just a note of interest. Got back in from Montana last night, nice visit back on the western home front. Seems they have developed an acute dislike for Lakers out west. Many have been illegally introduced (Yellowstone Lake), but they are trying to get rid of them in Flathead Lake also where they were originally legally stocked. (Seneca Lake was the source I believe) There is no limit on Yellowstone Lake and you are required by law to keep and kill every Laker you catch. On Flathead Lake the limit is 100 per day. They just finished a 3 day per weekend, 7 weekend tournament. I think the winner twice limited out and totaled 1600+ for the whole 7 weekend span. Many of the anglers placing were 1000+. Sounds like they could use some help from the Finger Lakes finest. Head West young fisherman and fisherwomen!

There was an article about this in Fly Rod and Reel a few months back. The lakers in these lakes are causing native bull trout populations to collapse and from what I read, little damage is being done through recreational fishing to lower laker numbers. It said the only effective method to really cut their populations is gill netting which the guides out there are completely against.

Yeah the lakers really decimate the native trout populations. The big impact on Yellowstone of course is on the native cutthroats in Yellowstone Lake. Those big lakers can eat a pile of cutthroats. The National Park Service and US Fish and Wildlife Service electroshock trhem and gill net them the entire season the lake has open water. They have been really targeting them in the fall by trying to find staging and spawning areas. In the case of Flathead Lake it is governed under tribal laws since it is on the reservation. They have a very good fish and game management program.