heated storage to dry a boat out

Gator

Hi Guys,

I was winterizing stuff on Saturday only to find out that my 17' Lund Mr. Pike had 3" of water on the floor...yup, she was full. The trolling motor batteries were underwater. Toward the end of the summer I scrubbed the carpet and pressure washed her, and I'm absolutely certain that the plug was out when I put her in the backyard, and when I topped off the batteries ~6 weeks ago, she was fine then, too. I'm at a loss. Regardless, she's wet and winter is coming. I'm hoping that a buddy of mine can find some space for me at his shop, but he has a big job just started and it might not happen. So, I'm reaching out to the LOU community for suggestions. If anyone knows of heated storage where I could pay to store the boat for awhile til she's dry, please e-mail me: [email protected]

I'm located just South of Rochester. All suggestions are greatly appreciated. The boat is an outboard, so there's no water in the engine, but I won't even try to turn her over until she's dried out. The starting battery was not submerged nor hooked up, luckily. The floor is a mess, though. Hopefully a few weeks under water won't leave it having to be replaced.

Gator

Small heater with a thermostat and fan all in one would probably dry out slowly, leave the cover on with only a small area for ventilation. I would keep moving the heater to below floor compartment.

In all honesty if it the original floor it should be pressure treated and is designed to be wet over and over. Drying it out from the bottom up should suffice.

I would start by putting the trailer on an angle so that all the water will drain out through the plug hole. the next thing to do is buying a few 10 foot 2 by 4s and 1 20+ foot 4x4. then build an A frame around the boat in a place that can hold the boat and trailer for a few months without sinking in the mud. Next, get a tarp that can cover the whole thing while leaving it open enough for air to flow through.By next spring you should be fine.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. Currently the boat is at my buddy's place in heated storage for a few days drying out, then my plan is to do exactly what you recommended, that is to cover it but leave room for ventilation. In fact, that's how the boat was stored this fall, too. I used crushed stone to build a landing pad for the boat just off the driveway...unfortunately, right next to a row of large arborvites. Their droppings can really stain the carpet, particularly when it's wet, and yes they can also clog the drain hole (though that wasn't the problem in this case). I miss being able to fit the boat into the garage...

I have been tarping my boat for years and the sun will heat things up to keep it dry with good ventilation. Be prepared to see cats, coons and other visitors there in the spring. I always send my dog in at times during the winter.

the key to drying anything out isnt so much heat... its moving dry air...

Like when you get in your car and the windows are fogged up... turning the heat up only makes them foggier...open a window and let the cold air blow in, and the fog is gone.

if you do decide to use a portable heater...be it propane or electric...make sure its in a safe position away from any fabric or tarps... Fires are no fun.

A boat has to be covered with a trap in the winter. A black one is best for the winter, free heat from the sun helps keep everything nice and dry. It will need a tiny bit of ventilation to let the moisture out and brush the snow off regularly. Try to keep it out of a windy spot as well, trap will rip or go for a fly. Uncovered boats get run down in a hurry.