Not big, but my first buck!

fisherman21

So i was in math class wednesday morning, and all i could think about was getting another deer (i shot my first bow deer in october, doe) and hadnt really had much opportunity since then. All my buddies have been sending me pics of thier deer, so i was getting kinda tired of not seeing anything. with the cold weather we had come in wednesday, i made up my mind i was going for it. So after math i decided to skip my last class and hit the woods, dont tell my parents haha. I hunt on a golf course, so i went way back in the hard woods onto an old atv trail and decided i would camp out. this was at about 12. At 130 i got bored and just decided i was going to walk the trail slowly and quietly since the ground was saturated i figured i could get in range of a deer if i saw one. So i start walking, and about 45 yards down the trail from where i was sitting, i jumped a deer about 15 yards from me, i clicked the safty off and kept the bead on him as he ran up the hard woods, and wouldnt you know, he turned left and ran right across the trail at 40 yards. BANG!!!! dropped in stride a nice little 5 point and my first buck. Not to mention i got him with my grandpas 60 year old bolt action 16 guage. It was my goal to get one with the 16 gauge this year. Last year was my first year hunting and i got a doe with my grandpas 12 guage pump so i wanted to try something new and more difficult. Now onto the 16 guage single shot shotgun. It makes him proud i get the deer with his guns, and they get the job done, so its a win win for me. So last fall i got my first deer (doe) 12 guage pump, this fall first deer with a bow (doe), and now wednesday i added to my first with my first buck with a 16 guage bolt action. 3 down and many more to go. here are some pics of my deer.

buck with 16 guage

buck1.jpg

buck2.jpg

buck3.jpg

buck4.jpg

buck5.jpg

doe during bow

doeb.jpg

doe 12 guauge last year

doe12.jpg

Actually...that buck looks more mature in body than in antler. Unless you are a smaller guy, and that old 16 ga. Has a much longer barrel than normal,...all kidding aside, :lol:..that's a nice buck and the horns will come for you yet. Gives ya something to look forward to, going into the woods for many years to come...I sense the 17 year old with the 17 point bow kill this past October in Bergen, ny may be a little disappointed for a good while in the rest of his hunting. That's a buck of a lifetime.

You will remember this first buck and how you played "hooky" for the chance! :clap: ...I'll bet you told grandpa and he would remember his days of skippin' school too!...I know I would, and do, 39 years ago. :angel:

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Way to go...back in our day we were lucky to know someone who owned a camera , let alone afford to develop the film..

My first gun is my old 16 ga with the "poly choke" like on yer gramps gun.

Not only does your post (a great one) relive your story ,it fires up our few remaining brain cells to the "first Buck"

Yup Musky told me his story ,but back then they used clubs and stones..

Skippy was one of the first settlers to shoot a deer with a flintlock..

Its cool to see yer first deer , wish i had a photo of mine (22in 14pt) hmm maybe it was that small 4 pt..,,,didnt matter it was my first buck..

Thank You and others who keep the great stories comming..back in the day we might get 1 or 2 stories like yours a month ,,and they were from a magazine that we would look forward too arrive for another "sucessfull hunt story".

Thank You

Ray K.

Ray said,

"Yup Musky told me his story ,but back then they used clubs and stones..

Skippy was one of the first settlers to shoot a deer with a flintlock.."

But Ray was the first to discover the loin cloth.....worn by everyone else, while he was buffy hunting with an atladl! :rofl:

We love you Ray!...now put yer clothes on!

Awesome story Fisherman - I'm sure you are still walking on cloud 9 since you shot your first buck!! Thanks for sharing your awesome story....I'm sure there will be plenty more.

You brought a little tear to my eye tonight b/c I shot my first deer with the same gun you have (it looks like an old Mossberg 185, with the plastic grips on the buttstock and the famous poly-choke) 24 years ago on my very first "solo" hunt when I was old enough to sit by myself. My dad let me borrow this gun and I remember I "spined" my first deer ever - a small doe - and I started crying when she was paralyzed and I had no idea what to do. My ol' man heard all the commotion and came over to finish her off and I can remember just sitting with him next to the deer with him consoling me. My dad passed away almost four years ago, but it's stories like this which bring me back to those great old days.

Thanks again for sharing and may your success continue afield,

- Chris

WTG fisherman21 :yes: A successful fisherman and now successful hunter - welcome to another addiction. Thanks for sharing. You will always remember your first.

Shawn

Actually...that buck looks more mature in body than in antler. Unless you are a smaller guy, and that old 16 ga. Has a much longer barrel than normal,...all kidding aside, :lol:..that's a nice buck and the horns will come for you yet. Gives ya something to look forward to, going into the woods for many years to come...I sense the 17 year old with the 17 point bow kill this past October in Bergen, ny may be a little disappointed for a good while in the rest of his hunting. That's a buck of a lifetime.

You will remember this first buck and how you played "hooky" for the chance! :clap: ...I'll bet you told grandpa and he would remember his days of skippin' school too!...I know I would, and do, 39 years ago. :angel:

Mark

well im about 6'2'' i would say im farely good sized haha a guy at the course that hunts said the deer actually had a really big head and body for its antlers. im just thankful i was blessed with the opportunity to take such a great aminal. Although not big, im sure i will have many more opportunities to come

NICE FIRST BUCK :yes::yes: IT IS A GREAT FEELING TO GET THAT FIRST BUCK UNDER YOUR BELT, THEN YOU FEEL LIKE YOU ARE SOME WHAT A ACCOMPLISHED HUNTER. I KEPT MY FIRST SET OF HORNS, THEY WERE ABOUT THE SAME SIZE AS YOURS, I GAVE THEM TO MY FATHER TO PUT AT THE CABIN MANY YEARS AGO. HE PUT THEM ABOVE HIS FAVORITE CHAIR, NOW THAT HE HAS PAST THAT MEMORY MAKES ME HAPPY AND PROUD THAT HE FELT THE SAME AS I DID ABOUT THEM. :beer::beer::beer::beer: