Hey, lets hear some diver duck reports!!

We had plans for an Ontario hunt Saturday a.m but my nephew woke up sick Sat. a.m. so we stayed close to camp. Hunted Northern end of Cayuga Lake Saturday and Sunday a.m Slow weekend. South Wind allowed for one of my spots I always wanted to try. Finally grew a set and took the boat out to get to the spot. Saturday a.m my oldest boy made two awesome shots on mallards departing out of the dekes. Had to have been 40 plus yards. lots of mallards around and some blacks. Mallards were very vocal but I couldnt make many of them commit. I did manage a banded black duck Sat. a.m. Sunday a.m was slower yet. Not many divers around. Saturday we had a mixed spread of divers and puddle ducks. Sunday we tried a puddle setup way back in a bay but was real slow. Saw a big raft of birds I believe were coots. Never saw them before. Not much shooting. I saw very few divers for this time of the year. Cant be certain but think I may have seen some teal on the wing fly over head real early. Cant imagine teal still being around. I created a waterfowling monster. My nephew has added to our aresenal in a big way. We now have a bigger arsenal of new diver dekes and mother rigs to put a hurting on them in the late season. Come on Cold weather, and the late season! We cant wait!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a report from Seneca 12/26 IT SUCKS . We had a man there at 0500 and he didn't get the spot we wanted, only to get to the launch and find at least 10 trailers !!!! Ran down the lake and every couple hundred yards another flashlight turned to the north and tucked in, put out a small spread and waited till legal shooting. Very few birds and almost NO Mallards .... this warm weather is killing my hopes for a good second season. Going to perch fish the next time down with a Beretta and 3" BB's as my net :lol::lol::lol:

We hunted Conesus and it was pretty much the same story, saw some big flocks in the air but they were in the stratosphere, not that I want to admit this but we did dust a big group of coots that came into our spread :no: not much shooting around the lake nad hardly any in the south end swamp. Hopefully some areas lock up and birds start to concentrate otherwise this season will suck like the rest of the seasons.

Went out with my son and a buddy and hit the corn fields out in churchville. We shot mallards and 1 black. Did good on geese. If I could have shot better we would have limmited out. If u can find field u will do good.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Sounds to me like you guys will have to break out the swamp hunting gear...I haven't heard of any outstanding reports. In fact just the opposite. I am out of town for just about the entire western split......I am duck hunting though ;) . I will post up a detailed report when I get back...........

Not sure Tom, they were grinding ducks down there the October opener maybe it has changed since then. Jimmy, Todd,and I hunted yesterday from around 1:30 till sunset and man what a epic day. We got on a big pond that usually is froze in the late season and the birds just kept coming in droves and worked the calls and dekes perfect we had the best day I ever had duck hunting. Limited out on ducks and pretty close to the same on geese we had to stop shooting we did so well. Days like that are never to be forgot thats for sure. :yes:

We have hunted Canandaigua Lake the first 2 days of the split and shot 1 bird. Moved to Lake Ontario shore in Orleans county yesterday (29th) and shot limits of Goldeneye. A few Buffies and a small group of Mallards were seen but nothing else. I think we're about 2 weeks behind a normal season. It might be the last weekend of the split before real numbers of birds show up on the Fingerlakes.

SLOOOOOOOW on Cayuga the last few days. Birds are wadded up North of Frontenac. Bunch of mallards, some blacks, some whistlers, some redheads and hardly saw any buffies. Tons of hunting pressure has made for flare fest conditions. My buddies layout setup was the best set up but they even flared to that spread. Blind shy, decoy shy and of course tough to call as any late season is. We need some weather and new birds! I wish Wells College had a blind on their beach. lol

Hunted the Big Lake O Saturday the 31st with 3 buddys and took our limit of Ol Squaw's with a total of 24. Decided to take advantage of the #'s of birds in the area and went back to the same spot Sunday the 1st with 2 buddys and took our limit again with a total of 18! Not a bad New Years!!! Lots of fun shooting those birds that are almost impossible to kill...!! Seemed like we shot more at cripples then ever before! All Ol Squaws thou, only saw one drake Blue Bill over the 2 hunts and a few mallards.

Good Luck & Happy New Year To All

Jakey Baby

Matt