Ye olde muzzle loader issue again

chowder

Pretty much done w/ the dreaded doe management program on the 3 farms I've some how become responsible for so I've turned my attention to the front stuffers. Once again I'm still having hang fire issues w/ my CVA Accura, while my cheap Traditions Pursuit LT seems to fire perfectly.

Last year our friend Ray K. was nice enough to give me some wire to run through the breech plugs which really seemed to straighten out some no fire and hang fire problems I was having at the time, though in fairness I think I only hunted with the Traditions rifle cuz it only has open sights which seems more in keeping w/ the basics of the black powder thing.

I went to the range Sunday w/ both rifles and shot each 2 times at the 50yds and 3 times at 100yds. The Traditions fired fine on all but the Accura had a hangfire on shot no. 1 and shot no. 4. After removing the breech plugs from both guns and inspecting the fire hole there appears to be no difference between them.

I will say that the Accura's breech plug seems noticeably more difficult to clean and so I'm considering soaking it in some Hoppes solution over night to soften up any deposits that I might not be able to see in the space behind the primer seat and then work the wire thru it. Any thoughts/suggestions?

not sure what powder or primers your using but theres plenty of solutions to the problem

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... orn_proble

http://www.blackhorn209.com/specs/breech-plug-cleaning/

i would personally get a modded breech plug if your still having hang fires after a proper cleaning of your old one

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com is also a site with TONS of info

I had some issues last year with Winchester 209 primers. I shoot a Savage ML2 and I use IMR stick rifle powder....I noticed that the gun did not like Winchester primers. I went to Federals and I have never had any misfires since....

I notice when I shot the primer only, a load of sparks shot out of the barrel. With winchesters it did not. Federals seem to burn hoter.

not sure if that helped....good luck with smoke pole season.

My brother has the same gun, Doing the same thing, I have a tc encore and never had any problems with it. We shot what i use in my gun in his, His misfired, It does'nt matter what primer i use, or bullet, mine still fires, He uses jim shocky gold powder, I us the triple 7 pellets, I think its those cva's or something, Iv'e hunted with mine in northern Quebec moose hunting for 10 days, rain, snow, sleet everyday, Mine still shot. I would'nt trust my life on my brothers cva. Find out whats going on with yours, so i can tell my brother, I've tried everything with his, it still misfires. Thanks

Well, I can tell you that you can't put the QRBP in the original Accura, only the newer V2. I am pretty sure though that the problem is due to accumulated funk behind the primer seat compounded by what might not be the best seal between hammer frame and primer breech seat. I didn't have this problem w/ my Accura the first 2 years I owned it which, again, leads me to believe that the combination of wear and accumulated deposits have rendered it unreliable. I'm gonna use the #32 bit to remove any hardened deposits in the fire channel then soak the BP in Hoppes and brush & use both the bit & wire on it again. I'll keep you posted.Thanks to all for the suggestions so far! -Andy

you need to mesure the size of the flash hole. get a set of tip cleaners from a welding shop, the work good, then use a mic if needed. The hole size can very quite a bit and a few thousands makes a huge difference. The advice of a modified breach plug is good advice. Im sure this is your problem, if all is as you say it is.