Anyone seeing or killing coyotes?

ghertzog2003

We've had this discussion b4 but we can have it again. ;) Here in high altitude 7M we have lots of yotes and lots and lots of deer too, been this way for many,many years.We typically get 1 or 2 dogs/farm using a good electronic caller and managing our scent carefully, then we need to work another piece of ground (yotes are pretty shrewd) -Andy

Capt. Vince,

Myself and two of my friends do an annual fishing trip every year and this year we picked the bar. We stayed at 4 mile creek and could not believe all the coyotes in the area. There were some nights right at dusk where they would carry on for a good hour or so, you could hear the pups and then the grown ups. Good thing we had an eighth of an inch of vinal protecting us :lol:

Tom

On the farm i ususally hunt we haven't seen any this year which is unusual. The past 8-10 years we would kill at least one every year and some years 3-4. The past few years the landowner has let a trapper in and that really seems to be helping. I've seen them in his sets and always see the "rings" where he caught them. As the coyote sightings started to go down we have had better luck with the deer.

Goin deep,

Here's another link:

http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/jiofd ... -2789ndf98

Absolutely mind boggling to me if this is real (for some reason it's hard for me to think this entire event could have been captured in front of one trail cam.....but it wouldn't be the first time there was a hoax on the 'net)

Thanks for sharing,

- Chris

I've seen them chase deer through my yard, My house is back in the woods, We don't let our daughter play outside unless our dog is out there or my wife and i. They will take a child with no problem, I shoot everyone i can in the guts,, wth a 22, slow death and there is no season on them as far as im concerned. SHOOT EM ALL!!

My 18 year old son had a pile of them around his stand one evening during bow season.

He was spooked to get down, so he called me, at the shop, as I was working later than normal, and went home, got the truck, drove over to the farm, then down in where he was, on the 4-wheeler, with a 12 ga.

Figured they'd be long gone, by the time I rolled up, and they were.

He was glad to see the wheeler lights coming, and happier yet to see me toteing that 870.

He was visibly rattled, and proceded to give him a ride to where he parked the other wheeler, and we both made our way back to the truck/trailer.

I saw the trail cam footage in a video sequence of the totes taking down the trophy buck the night before opening of gun season. The buck may have been unhealthy and unable to defend himself well, but its disturbing to say the least. As luck would have it, the next morning I saw the first yote ever on the property we hunt and was pleased to put an .06 round through his chest. We have seen a lot of fox over the years, but no yotes except for tracks in the snow the last couple of years.

Shawn

It would appear the deer used the light from the camera to see it's tomentors. I have noticed deer will bed close to houses at night. I always thought it was to stay away from coyotes and have some light to see by. The deer in the video looked healthy to me......f@ckers!!!!

coyotes love suburbia. i've got a few in my backyard (brockport) my older dog remembers coyotes slamming into her kennel in colorado. dam things were good at eating pets. it's funny knocking on doors during hound season. landowners are shocked when we show up and tell them they have a coyote in their backyard. it's always no,no, no coyotes live around here. it's hard to keep a straight face when you have gps unit/tracking collar and eight dogs losing their mind barking. :lol:

You guys have every right to respect them as a danger. Wasn't too many years ago a bowhunter from downstate was dangling injured upside down from a safety strap and the yotes started tearing into him. Had he not informed his family of his stand that night, he would have been a goner. Many a pet has been had in suburban areas.

Don't confuse the injuries on the back of the bucks legs. Whether he was injured prior or not, thats the Coyotes first strike point. I take some Coyote gurus out on charters, and they tell me that what they often do to a dog is "bait" him in with a solo Coy, and once he's engaged and commits to following the decoy, he gets attacked from behind on the back of the legs.

As several have said here before, cropping them just makes 'em stronger. Gone are the days of leaving an evening kill 'til daylight. It may not reduce the population, but keeping 'em fearful of man is definitely a good play.

Couple years back over near Oriskany Falls, a bowhunter we had heard of, had apparantly fallen from his tree.

We were told that after being recently seperated from his spouse, no one really realized he was mia.

As we were told, it was a not a pretty sight when he was found a day or so later, as the coyotes had been all over him.

I've got a buddy with a cabin on Moon Lake in Theresa, NY. We'll go up in December/January sometimes and there's a huge population of coyotes there. I've never seen it done but I'm told the locals will occasionally take a road-killed deer, chain it to a 5 gallon bucket and throw the bucket in one of the icefishing holes on the southwest side to freeze in. The carcass will draw the pack out onto the ice - giving the hunters a perfect shot from the nearby cliffs. That's one way to thin out a pack.

I've got a buddy with a cabin on Moon Lake in Theresa, NY. We'll go up in December/January sometimes and there's a huge population of coyotes there. I've never seen it done but I'm told the locals will occasionally take a road-killed deer, chain it to a 5 gallon bucket and throw the bucket in one of the icefishing holes on the southwest side to freeze in. The carcass will draw the pack out onto the ice - giving the hunters a perfect shot from the nearby cliffs. That's one way to thin out a pack.

We just hang our leftovers from boning out venison out of reach of the cats & dogs and then put them into 5 gal pails w/ water & freeze them as we need them(very heavy). If you locate the bucket near an e-caller you can hunt the yotes off to the side which keeps them from spooking on your scent but it's not too often that multiple dogs will commit to the call simultaneously. -Andy