wondering if we will have ice fishing season?

Deaf Fisherman

No snow lately!

It is possible be postpone ice fishing this year. I usually fish Braddock in third week of December to middle of January. Then Jan-March, I usually fish at any body of waters. But is it will be possible that I can fish sometimes at this month or no?

My friends reported me that there is no little ice on any waters. But I am begin to wondering if this is normal? because last four years of my college was blizzard or heavy snowing by after the thanksgiving day. However, ice won't be safe until second or third week of December.

Will it be postpone tad later than usually(third week of Dec) at this year? I wanted to visit my college couple of times during winter season so I can able to go ice fishing sometimes. 8)

So, I am curious about what is your answer about this?

Hopefully, Snowing will coming down Rochester sometimes soon! :yes:

You heard right - there's no ice yet and that's unusual. You'll be able to fish the tribs for winter steelhead but ice fishing is anybody's guess. I've never done it but one of my friends loves it and is supposed to take me out this year...eventually.

Yeah, last two years was tad earlier than third week of December. But I didn't want to take risk with little ice that just developed since I fish alone for most of time. Until Jan, with bunch of friends because until I checked ice is that safe to hold many people.

I already got my rigs set up to go! Only thing that I need is ICE! :lol:

But for now, might visit Rochester at this weekend. I'll definitely go fish for steelheads. Hopefully, I'll manage get one bite or many! 8)

Df forget the snow, pray for cold. the clearer the nights the lower the temps. we need a solid week in the low 20's and bradocks will be fishable for "US" light footed die hards. Its coming and will be here before you know it. Just get all your gear ready. Have first ice gear ready to go, we will be on the ice by the 1st im sure, and some of us before then. I remember I fished bradocks around five years ago and was the very first guy on the ice fishing. Guys were falling through trying to get were I was. Remember doing ok, not great. also remember getting pretty wet on the walk back in. around 2 1/2 inches of ice. Any way clear nights is the key with light winds.

Braddocks was iced over this past mid week till thursdays weather hit. Temps don't look very consistent for cold nights through the end of the year. Once the pattern in the Pacific NW. gets warmer, then we'll be good. Till the jet stream changes, it will be status quo for the near future. Trust me, I'm not happy either, but "it is what it is". :no:

I jinxed it by buying a new auger. This sucks. I guess I can work the overtime I have scheduled and not worry about missing some first ice action.

Brian,

I bought an older 14 foot Mirrorcraft this past fall and it came with two small riggers. I would love to try it out close to shore trolling for browns off the Oak or Sandy. If there isn't going to be any ice fishing this year then we'll do some winter trolling. I have never done it in the winter so I don't know if it would be any good or if the fish are way off shore.

Jim