Fish finder vs fish finder/GPS combo

Kahuna

I am planning on purchasing a new fish finder and GPS for my boat. Are there any advantages to purchasing a fish finder/ GPS combo to seperate units? If so what are they? Which way would you go and why? Also, what make would you recommend? My price range is between $400.00 to $900.00. Thanks

Kahuna

:beer:

I have separate units,both have a 4.5 inch screen. The fishfinder is a humminbird and the gps a garmin. The garmin gps gives me the convenience of planning a trip at home on my computer and then downloading it into the unit.I am very happy with this setup.

The only way I would change this to a single unit would be by having a much larger screen so the two functions are easily readable and adjustable while being side by side on the screen.

With seperate units, should one go on the fritz, the other one still works.

More screen size unless you buy a big screen for big money.

Also I'm not tied to one manufacturer.

I like Garmin for gps and Furuno for ff.

Disadvantages would be two units take up more space and you have two installations.

Probably more money.

Personally, I go with seperate units.

Good luck

Glen

I have 2 units as well. A 5" Garmin GPS and Ray Marine 5" FF . Garmin pretty much leads the way for GPS. If I had the money there would be a Furuno FF sitting next to my Garmin. Although a GPS won't show you fish the map on mine shows the depth with in a foot of my FF . So if I lost my FF I could still fish with my riggers with some confidence .

Good Luck

JT

I have 2 units as well. A 5" Garmin GPS and Ray Marine 5" FF . Garmin pretty much leads the way for GPS. If I had the money there would be a Furuno FF sitting next to my Garmin. Although a GPS won't show you fish the map on mine shows the depth with in a foot of my FF . So if I lost my FF I could still fish with my riggers with some confidence .

Good Luck

JT

Nice thought,but the water levels change with the seasons while on your GPS they remain the same.

I now have an HDS7 and it works great in a split screen .On my last boat I had an LMS522 and I did not like using it in split split screen. i was going to go to 2 units. Even sold my boat without the522 so I could put it on the next boat. But this boat came with the hds7 and never got around to installing it. Now I am not sure if i should or sell the 522 or put it on the 14' tin boat.

I prefer separate units, but I made the mistake of buying a Humminbird fishfinder only. Since the fishfinder does not have a SD slot I had to buy a special unit to download the updates and also an adapter cable to connect it to the USB ports that newer computers use. I could have saved money by buying the fishfinder/ GPS unit which has the SD slot.

High Bidder

Good Luck

JT

Nice thought,but the water levels change with the seasons while on your GPS they remain the same.

Very true, but when I'm fishing in Lake O in 100' to 300' of water I don't worry much about a couple feet. Between my GPS and temp probe I feel I can get pretty close to the fish . (plus seeing other boats around)

The maps on these new GPS are amazing . I can see humps and drop offs before my FF ever does. It's just another great tool to help put fish in the boat. :)

I have one unit with both GPS and fishfinding. I operate on split screen all the time, and find that it works well. The only thing I wish is the screen was bigger on the GPS side so that I can better track my planned routes or courses that I know I strike fish better on. This is where 2 units will come in handy - you get two full screens dedicated to each task.

The other thing is with combo units sometimes you lose functionality - like my Lowrance Elite 5 Gold cannot tell me trip distance. A dedicated GPS unit will likely give you some of that very good information.

Lastly, you want a unit that is DSC compliant - so you can connect the GPS to a DSC Radio. A stand alone GPS again will be easier to find with that functionality than a combo unit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...