Great customer service... NOT!

So I order a new probe for my sub troll and a spool of coated cable over 4 weeks ago from Abes tackle in Sodus. First off they tell me that it would be in in about a week and a half because they had just gotten in a shipment. I said that's fine. He said it would be $120 plus the $10 shipping and I said that's great!! I'm saving like $40.

I wait 2 weeks and call there and find out it's not in yet (keep in mind that I asked to be contacted when it came in) I then call back again a few days later and find out that it's still not in. Last week I call again and ask and they say that it didn't come in but that a whole sub troll unit that somebody else had ordered had come in along with a fish hawk unit. Still no probe. I then call and the lady tells me he won't be in until the next afternoon. I call back then and I am told it wasn't in but that he would check on it.

The next day I get a call from the lady who says "I have your probe and coated cable in my hand" :shock: . I say great I will be out on Thursday to pick it up :D

I drive 50 miles from my house in Chili out there today to get it and find out that it is not my probe but a Depth Raider Probe :shock: :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Now he calls his guy to see if he has one and he tells me that this guy he buys from won't have one until next week. So then I won't get it until the following week maybe :!:

Well he asks me where I came from and I told him the other side of Rochester. Well what I got for that was " sorry about that, sorry about that" If you order another one I can ship it to you or maybe they can ship it right to you. I am thinking, great I drove an hour there and will drive another hour back at $3 a gallon and he doesn't even offer me some tackle or a gift card for $10 or $15. Nothing :x NOT A DAMN THING! GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! At our restaurant we screw up we try to offer something, whether it's dessert a drink or if it was a really bad problem like if Jax cooked his food :P;):lol: We offer a gift certificate of some sorts. But I get nothing but a OOPS SORRY!

I was gonna save like $40 on the probe so I was gonna use that $$ on some tackle out there because the place is loaded with stuff I can't find in Rochester. I also called Jax to see if he wanted anything while I was out there and was gonna buy a him a few things he wanted, but at that point I wasn't gonna spend a cent in there :!: :!:

GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE :!:

i talked too the guy thats in pembrook thats on there site you should give them a call , i think they closer too, offerd me a sub troll 900 complete for $389- his wife works right bye there and picks them up on her way home so no shipping anyway good luck !

Jim from Abe's just happened to call after I read this post so I mentioned the situation to him, and he feels terrible.

From my point of view dealing with some of the same distribution (where these products like probes come from) it gets quite tough to get straight answers, we do get promises each and everyday from our distribution that items will arrive that many times do not.

Also trying to maintain a business like Jim has established and keeping the doors open for many, many hours it also is a tough chore to maintain the knowledgeable personele to do so.

Just the other day I had a new helper ready to ship 2 (1 lb.) dropper balls to an angler who ordered 2 torpedo trolling weights. Just imagine the look on this poor anglers face if these would have shipped................Ouch !!

I do not know the entire deal that went wrong between the parties, but Jim is an outstanding business man who always insists on purchasing whatever we feel the anglers are looking for, prices not always even mattering, he just wants to satisfy his shoppers.

Very sorry for your trouble Tom, bum deal, drop me your mailing addy and I will send you some free lures for your trouble. Jim is a great guy.

Tom

Tom - I know hindsight is always 20-20 (excluding Ray's joke down below) but I would have gone direct to Moor. They have excellent service for parts. Might cost some $ more but worth it - no frustration. There just a few more miles than sodus from your place. (Duane gets 5 stars in my book)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Tom (Atomic) I understand more than most people about all of what goes on with dealing with the public consumers being in the restaurant business for 29 years, but it seemed as though nobody had a clue at all as to what I had even ordered to begin with. It all seemed unorganized even when I went there to pick it up. Jim did seem like a very nice gentlemen and that is far from what I meant with all this, but him knowing I had already traveled over 50 miles just to get there I would expect a little more than OOPS I AM SORRY or let me have them send it right to you if they can. Like I said before we go out of our way to make sure that a customer at our restaurant that has had a problem gets compensated with a drink, dessert, something or we have gone as far as to send them a gift certificate for dinner in the past (Ray don't get any ideas about coming in and complaining for a freebee now :shock: :lol: ) As it turns out his girlfriend/wife/fiance whomever is actually the sister to our events coordinators boyfriend at the restaurant who is the ex-wife of Tom that owns Capt. Jacks across the street:? :? :? HMMMMMMM.... I sent you a PM

Tom B (longline) I had already purchased one from Duane (whom I agree is a good guy) for $172 but I was going to be saving $40 that I wanted to use on some wanted/needed tackle at Abes. Last I looked the new house that is 3 times as expensive as my old house plus 3+ times the taxes and 35 miles further from the lake had a lot in it, but there was no money tree growing in the front yard ;(

Ray don't make me come after you like your a raccoon in the road at 4am :lol:

As it turns out his girlfriend/wife/fiance whomever is actually the sister to our events coordinators boyfriend at the restaurant who is the ex-wife of Tom that owns Capt. Jacks across the street:?

Hey I think we're related too. We went to different schools together at a different time. :roll:

Last I knew it was Jamie Abel owning and running Abes. Is Jim someone who works there for Jamie??? If so, maybe he doesnt do the ordering of the items and doesnt have the say so to give away free stuff.

I dont know. I have always had a good experience shopping at Abes and dealing with Jamie and his wife. Best store for miles around for sure!!!!

Wow you sound like a spoiled child. Ok, you had a problem with your order... it sounds like they were honest with you, but got your order wrong. It happens. Everytime you cook someone's steak medium instead of rare do you give it to them for free? No, you re-order it.

Gotta disagree with you on this one. Abe's is a great place, if your probe wasn't coming fast enough... go elsewhere. It's a tackle shop, with a great selection and the people there are very helpful and always willing to bend over backwards for you. They tried to order an item for you that they don't stock, tried to give you a great price... it took longer than expected (which is the distributor/manufacturer's fault) and then when it came in, turned out to be the wrong item (which could very well also be the distributor's error).

If you're not happy with their service, it's definitely within your right to go elsewhere and no one would blame you... but to complain about not being given free stuff?? Come on..

If you want to see what poor service is really like, go to bay bridge tackle and ask them to order a probe for you :)

Nick

Nick, first off I am a 45 year old MAN! You haven't a clue as to what went on and the run around I got. It has nothing to do with the "free" stuff . It's the offer that matters to me. I can't even tell you how many times I have taken people out in my boat and they offer me $$ for gas and I tell them keep it! It has everything to do with the fact that when I called them (which I did a few times) and got responses that seemed like they had no idea what I had even ordered. Then I get down there and it's more of the same thing like I had ordered something from another world. They didn't get my order wrong, they got a depth raider in for someone else and she called me and told me I have "YOUR" probe and cable in my hand. She should have known what I ordered and checked to make sure that the order was complete before calling me to get it. I understand that it was an honest mistake on her part, she seemed like a nice enough person.

Everytime you cook someone's steak medium instead of rare do you give it to them for free? No, you re-order it.

The difference here is that if you drove 50 miles for that steak you aren't having to drive 50 miles back, then given your re-cooked steak a couple of weeks later or told it MIGHT be in then IF THEY HAVE ONE! If you are not happy with your steak even if you ate part of it, I take it off your check no questions asked and I try to go to your table and talk to you to find out what the problem was with the steak so that I can fix the problem.

I do all the ordering for the restaurant and deal with distributors nearly everyday from here to Hawaii and they make mistakes I realize, but you guys all seem to think it was the distributors fault and it wasn't. Jim should have checked with the person he orders from when I called about it 2 weeks after I ordered it to find out if he did order the probe for sure in the first place and when the probe would be in, then gotten back to me with a answer. None of that happened as far as I am concerned until that day.

Brian that's a little obvious :shock: :roll:

Enough on this. I am moving on and will order a new probe next year since it's a little late for it now anyways.

I also for the record think he has a AWESOME tackle shop and wish it was up here in Rochester.

P.S I don't cook steaks that are ordered rare, medium! Jax maybe :P me never :lol: :!: