length from rigger weight to paddle

how much line do you guys let out before you attach the line to the rigger?

I am new and only fished 1 year and let out from 45 to 50 feet and was successful

is this long?

Yes, thats generally long but sometimes thats where the fish want it.

As mentioned the deeper you are fishing the shorter the leads.

As short as 5 feet at times.

Is there a general rule of thumb? For example: 100 ft total (down 20-back 80).

Yes I've heard of such a rule.

Basically I'll run long leads in shallow water and in deeper water I'll go short with one side and long with the other and see what happens.

If my dipsys are going and my riggers aren't, that would usually indicate a long lead is required.

If I'm getting streakers and no hits the first thing I'll adjust is my speed the 2nd is my lead lengths.

Let the fish tell you what to do. (or not to do)

They will. :yes:

I think that formula works ok for spoons, (though it's not really necessary with those most of the time either), but I can't remember the last time I had to put a flasher longer than 15 feet from the ball, regardless of depth. Most of the time my flasher/flys are 8-10 from the ball.

Tim

Our rule of thumb is if it ain't broke, then don't fix it!!! If we have rods going and even if we have just one rod going all the time, the only thing we change is the rod that's the farthest away from the hot rod to see if it's the item or the position. Sometimes it's the items around the hot item that are making it go. If you are going to make a change make sure you remember where you were in case your spread goes dead.

There are days when you can get every rod to go, but there are a lot more days when you can't. It really comes down to what the fish want on any given day and it's our job to feed it to them the way they like it!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I think that formula works ok for spoons, (though it's not really necessary with those most of the time either), but I can't remember the last time I had to put a flasher longer than 15 feet from the ball, regardless of depth. Most of the time my flasher/flys are 8-10 from the ball.

Tim

:yes::yes::yes: I second that