looking forward to second half

john1947

Hi,

This should be a excellent second half season.Little ice is forecast and above normal temperatures for opening day. many divers around now. I purchased a 19 seanymph which I built a boat blind on. It can comfortley allow four shooters .It has a kicker motor along with a 120 evinrude

We should have over two hundred diver decoys for redheads and bluebill.This will be my grandson's first second half

.the best thing about this rig is it is fast and able to go anywhere on the lake or bay

Good luck second half and have a Happy Holiday and New Year.

I hope your right. I dont expect it to be anywhere near as good as years past. I prefer cold and wind. Northwest preferably. I like to see the small water lock up so it forces the birds to use the bigger lakes. I would love to see a big artic blast up north to send some fresh birds down especially the divers. I have not been on Cayuga in a couple weeks but I saw very few divers then. It has been a weird season so far. Hunted local river Saturday and Canadrago Sunday. Slow both days. Couple Mallards both days. Lots of mallards around, just cant get them to finish well this season. careful offshore in the late season cold. You wont last 15 minutes in that cold water if you went in. Pulling someone back in a boat with all those clothes and gear on is a almost impossible task. Safe gunning and good luck. :yes:

Hi,

I found a way to get mallards to commit. I use two wonderducks.One has small wings which also has the independent motors, I paint on side black on the wings. The other one is a larger motor six volt and i use just black wings double wings work well

'I also use magum mallards,goose bodies from decoy unlimited

with magum herter heads

Most importantly is call when you should,have had few that wouldnt commit.

Good luck,ill snd pics next week

I will give it a try. Forgot about geese for confidence. I have tried big and small spreads. I will try the wonder duck. I have pretty much eliminated mojos unless its snowing or foggy with limited visibilty. Thanks. I have to get Pete from ON THE LAM some birds or he wont take me out on his new boat this spring. lol

seasquirril those goose confidence decoys are the ticket especailly on the finger lakes my late season mallard rig for fingerlakse concists of abot 90-100 floaters my buddy and i have and only about 2 dz mallards and blacks and we get perfect 15-25yrd hovering shots all day...I too am afraid this second half is going to be one of the worst been scouting non stop this past week cayuga has a few mallards blacks and geese but not nearly as many as it should this time of the year most likely because bodies of water upnorth are still open onieda and what not all the smaller ones and lake ontario were i am near has nothing but MERGANSERS! seen a few bays loaded to the brim with birds get the binoculars out and outa 5-6k mabe 200 are goldeneyes and bills....no redheads very few mallards up there.need a couple single diget nights for them all on the big water.